The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a new horse.. And I think I've found one. I just don't know what to feed her! She's a 5 year old, 16hh, thoroughbred (never raced). I want her to be fed something that will help her maintain her weight while doing heavy work (4-6 days a week for atleast an hour each day). Here's a picture:

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mare Stallion

Isn't she a cutie? :)

She's going to be used for eventing, if that helps.

I want to know what I should feed her, and how much. She weighs around 1100lbs. I've been thinking about Blue Seal or SafeChoice, but the store also sells Purina, Poulin, Triple Crown, and Genisis Organic.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I'm a Poulin fan. I buy local when I can and where I can.

My horses are easy keepers and don't work that hard. Actually only one really gets ridden.

Start with what ever she was getting for food, she looks good. Make any changes slowly. If you could buy a few bags of the feed she is on now and whatever you decide to feed her and slowly mix the two until she's on the one you want.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
She's absolutely beautiful!! Is there any real reason for commercial feeds? I've found that horses do well with simplicity- good quality hay, loose minerals, salt and an abundance of fresh clean water... nonetheless, stay wise in this, and enjoy her :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.