The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my horse has decided that her ration balancer is not good enough for her. She usually vacuums all foods, so I am surprised. I added some timothy pellets to dilute the ration balancer and she somehow picked out all the pellets. "Soak it", you say. But I feed psyllium husk (sand-clear) every so often, so that kind of defeats the purpose. So, now what? She had a vet check (teeth, worming, shots, et cetera) about six months ago. She east everything else: grass, hay, hay pellets, treats, and other horses' foods (tries to, anyway). So, I am pretty sure that nothing is wrong, just that she does not like her food. My horse is an easy keeper so I do not think that she will lose weight because she is on grass and hay all the time, but it is not great quality and I worry about the protein and vitamins and minerals.

The next food order is in a month or two, so how do I get her to eat until I can change her food?
Should I change her feed? If so, what should I change it to? I would like to keep her on some kind of ration balancer or something similarly nutritious (like, HorseTech High-Point Grass). Again, she is an easy keeper and a pleasure horse. So, I do not really want to feed high-energy or high-weight-gain food. I would like to feed as "natural" (so not high sugar or starchy) and as little as possible (we can only feed once a day, so I do not want to feed her, you know, ten pounds in one sitting.).

Obviously, I should use FeedXL (removing guess-work), but I do not think that I can convince my parents to buy it. lel Is there anything similar in nature but free?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Horse Tech supplements are great I buy from them. I have a supplement made up to meet my horses vit/min requirements. My hay is tested so vit/min was made up to fill in all the gaps in hay. Supplement will need adjusting for this year's hay.

It's in granular form so easy to mix with hay pellets. That I put water in just before feeding him. He'll eat it with nothing else added also. He's a super picky eater ,so if he approves of something it must be good.

Horse Tech is awesome to deal with highly recommend them.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
My horses get Poulin E-Tec Balancer, a low-sugar vitamin/mineral supplement. In the summer when they're on pasture, they just get the minimum at twice a day, which comes to a pound for my 1000 lb horse. They just eat it dry, nothing added usually (in winter on hay when they need more calories to stay warm it's another story).

I suggest you buy some small bags of several things and see what she likes.

SmartPak also has some good stuff, mail order.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Horse Tech supplements are great I buy from them. I have a supplement made up to meet my horses vit/min requirements. My hay is tested so vit/min was made up to fill in all the gaps in hay. Supplement will need adjusting for this year's hay.

It's in granular form so easy to mix with hay pellets. That I put water in just before feeding him. He'll eat it with nothing else added also. He's a super picky eater ,so if he approves of something it must be good.

Horse Tech is awesome to deal with highly recommend them.
That is what I thought about doing.

How did you know what gaps there were since nutritional requirements vary from horse to horse? I thought that Equi-Analytical had nutrition tables, but now I cannot find them. :/

What hay pellets do you use? Alfalfa, Timothy, Bermuda, Mixed, et cetera....

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My horses get Poulin E-Tec Balancer, a low-sugar vitamin/mineral supplement. In the summer when they're on pasture, they just get the minimum at twice a day, which comes to a pound for my 1000 lb horse. They just eat it dry, nothing added usually (in winter on hay when they need more calories to stay warm it's another story).
So, they eat is plain? No added hay pellets or anything?

No iron is good. I am curious if the calcium to phosphorus ratio is good? I forget what the ratio is supposed to be. 625 IU/lb vitamin E seems a little low. Have you needed to supplement more vitamin E?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
That is what I thought about doing.

How did you know what gaps there were since nutritional requirements vary from horse to horse? I thought that Equi-Analytical had nutrition tables, but now I cannot find them. :/

What hay pellets do you use? Alfalfa, Timothy, Bermuda, Mixed, et cetera....
My hay is tested by equi- analytical so I know what's missing. I use alfalfa pellets.

Only reason I add water ,to his feed is to increase his water intake. He's not been drinking well.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My hay is tested by equi- analytical so I know what's missing. I use alfalfa pellets.

Only reason I add water ,to his feed is to increase his water intake. He's not been drinking well.
Have you needed to up the phosphorous due to the high calcium in the alfalfa or does a "normal" (non-custom) HorseTech blend work well enough to balance it out?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Have you needed to up the phosphorous due to the high calcium in the alfalfa or does a "normal" (non-custom) HorseTech blend work well enough to balance it out?
Horse Tech makes up my supplement and balances out what's needed. I feed 4 lbs total of alfalfa pellets per day. Horse Tech does all the figuring out on vit/mins.

I give them my hay analysis. I do custom vit/min cost more but worth it. He's getting everything he needs no guessing.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
So, they eat is plain? No added hay pellets or anything?

No iron is good. I am curious if the calcium to phosphorus ratio is good? I forget what the ratio is supposed to be. 625 IU/lb vitamin E seems a little low. Have you needed to supplement more vitamin E?
https://www.poulingrain.com/products/182/e-tec-balancer-

I don't add a thing to it in summer (okay, they each get a carrot). In winter they get a hot mash with the balancer and Poulin Forage Extender, as much as they need to maintain weight. They also have as much hay as they want. Last winter I was feeding up an injured horse who had lost a lot of weight while on stall rest, and a chronically anxious pony who tends to drop weight easily. This winter may be different.

I did supplement with more Vitamin E in winter. In summer they are on good green pasture and to be honest are doing a little too well. I only supplement because I'm a worrier, not because they probably need much of anything added to their diet. Their winter hay is from next door, and is a mix of grasses.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I would just mix with hay pellets and soak it so she can't pick out what she wants. I don't know why soaking would defeat the purpose of sand clear. Just put in a few pellets at a time for each feeding until she is up to what she is supposed to get. Maybe add a little apple juice to the soaking. Some horses have to get used to certain flavors.

I have one mare that would eat a rock if you handed it to her and one that won't eat anything new and doesn't know what it is.

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
I would think it would have something to do with the mucilagenous texture it acquires when wet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts