Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm getting my 16.1hh Thoroughbred in a week and was wondering what coats i needed and what weights? i already have a few thin ones but really need a turn out coat. i was wondering if anyone knew if i need 2 coats ( a different one for him to sleep in) or if i could just get away with one? And what is the best weight- a midweight or heavyweight?

thanks!:D

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hi Sj, welcome

What is the horse used to, is he coming from stables or turnout.
What area are you, what is your weather like? Is it colder by much at night?
Is his coat very fine? Some tb's have a finer coat than others?

If he has been pampered all his life he will need covering. If the weather is fairly mild you can use a lightweight wool-lined cover if its colder use meduim or heavy-weight.

You can probably get away with one cover, especially if you can uncover him for a while each day. This would give him a chance to acclimatize as well. Use that time to air the cover out as well. If you keep him covered 24/7 you should have two so that they both get a chance to air properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we live in East sussex in England and at the moment all the fields are really muddy. he has a full clip. so I'm think about getting a heavy weight tun out coat for him to wear and then we will swap off for a thinner one when he goes back into his stable. is a turn out coat the best or should i get a stable coat?

thank you for the help:)

·
Administrator
36,797 Posts
You don't need a heavyweight turnout even on a clipped horse in the UK, my blanket clipped horses and two with really fine coats were out in sub zero temperatures last week in heavy weight rugs, now its back to around freezing they're plenty warm enough in their mid weights
By this time of year your horse will be starting to grow its summer coat and temperatures in the UK are going to be in mid 40F's to the mid 50F's so will be OK in a lightweight in the day and might need a midweight if it rains heavily all day and it drops down cold
If the horse isn't used to being in mud for long periods of time you're going to have to watch out for mud fever
Just a heads up - In the UK they're called rugs not coats, in the US they're called blankets

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lovely thank you! he's already got mud fever:( the owner at the moment has sent pictures to us and it seems to be clearing up now, fingers crossed!

thank you both for the help, i really appreciate it!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hi, my yard owner has a TB he is spoilt rotten lucky devil lol, she has him in a light weight stable rug with a lightweight turnout rug over it 24/7 at the moment,but as the weather gets better she just puts his lightweight stable rug on indoors and changes it for his turnout but as it gets warmer he goes out with no rug .
My welsh has a heavyweight stable rug on at the moment (helped stop her getting too bear like lol) but soon I will be changing it for her lightweight one,she gets turned out in summer with no rug,in autumn she has a middleweight turnout neck rug.
It all depends on what you think your horse is warm and comfortable in.
We haven't really turned out properly since Oct last year due to bad weather it's just too muddy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.