The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Cloe, a horse I work with at my barn. Just out of curiousity what type of paint pattern is she?

thanks guys!!

·
Registered
992 Posts
She is a Tobiano that also has frame or splash, which is what causes the blue eyes and white face. Tobiano by itself tends to leave the head dark.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks. I've always wondered.
She is pregnant with a chestnut arab, so would the foal turn out almost certainly a paint with her pattern, or not?

·
Registered
992 Posts
There is no surefire way to tell except to have her tested. She doesn't have the typical 'pawprints' or 'ink spotting' of a typical homozygous tobiano, though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm. so she's a mystery paint? lol just kidding.

She has some greyish colour around her ears, but you cant really see in the pics, and she has one dot in the middle of her spine, its kind of hard to get a picture of it tho.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
She is a tovero. She's pretty! She'd have a good chance for a pinto foal since she has more then one pinto pattern, but no guarantee. Unless she is homozygous for tobiano and no way to know w/out testing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, she is a tovero. A combination of color patterns. Do you know her parentage? What color patterns they were?

A combination of tobiano and frame (or tovero), if mated to solid colored horses, will produce about 25 percent tobianos, 25 percent frames, 25 percent tobiano/frame combinations, and 25 percent solid foals. The color production goes from 50 percent for most spotted heterozygotes to 75 percent.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
She's definitely not a splash... Nothing about her characterizes splash at all.

As the others have said, she is a tovero pattern.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Are mustaches & blue eyes not characteristics of Splash?
Although it's 1:30, so I very well could have my pattern facts mixed up.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Blue eyes are, but mustaches not so much... Here, you'll see lots of splash whites... None of them look even close to her.

Splashed White

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yep, I know what Splashes look like. I thought she might be a very minimally expressed Splash, as I've seen the gene expressed just with blue eyes before. I didn't realise that Frame caused blue eyes as well, I always thought that was a Splash/sometimes Sabino trait. So I've learned something today. I could have sworn I heard mustaches were a Splash characteristic (the stallion Gamblin' Man on that website has one), but I must be thinking of something else.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Tobiano's usually have 'staches when they've got white on their muzzle, which is where she probably got hers from! lol

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No sorry, I don't have any pictures of her parent... Oh wait, this is the best picture I have of her mom, doesn't really show her body. She has 1 blue eye, thats all I remember of her though. She didn't stay at the farm for very long.
She is the paint behind the buckskin. Sorry, I know it is a terrible picture. If I am remembering correctly, she had a similar pattern to Cloe, but Grey.

·
Registered
492 Posts
She is a tovero. She's pretty! She'd have a good chance for a pinto foal since she has more then one pinto pattern, but no guarantee. Unless she is homozygous for tobiano and no way to know w/out testing.
I'd agree that she's a tovero.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Tovero (pronounced: tow vair' oh) Dark pigmentation around the ears, which may expand to cover the forehead and/or eyes.
One or both eyes blue.
Dark pigmentation around the mouth, which may extend up the sides of the face and form spots.
Chest spot(s) in varying sizes. These may also extend up the neck.
Flank spot(s) ranging in size. These are often accompanied by smaller spots that extend forward across the barrel, and up over the loin.
Spots, varying in size, at the base of the tail.

Tobiano
(pronounced: tow be yah' no)
The dark color usually covers one or both flanks.
Generally, all four legs are white, at least below the hocks and knees.
Generally, the spots are regular and distinct as ovals or round patterns that extend down over the neck and chest, giving the appearance of a shield.
Head markings are like those of a solid-colored horse--solid, or with a blaze, strip, star or snip.
A tobiano may be either predominantly dark or white.
The tail is often two colors.

From APHA.com
I felt like using sources... maybe I've been writing to many papers lately for college....

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Tovero. She's a combination of Tobiano and Overo.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes, tovero. There are only three coat patterns, tobiano, overo, and a cross of both patterns...tovero. There is no "splash" pattern.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts