The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just another question. I don't have a type of saddle I use right now because ... well, I don't ride, but I'm curious what other people use.

I will be using a western saddle when I learn to ride.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I have ridden in a lot of dfferent saddles, western, english, trooper, dressage and different types in each style.
My old trooper saddle was really comfortable and I rode many miles in it, if I was riding a horse that was difficult I used it as I really stayed in that saddle. English and western I rode in saddles that some I liked and some I did not.
The saddle I ride mosty in now is an Isabel Werth dressage saddle, it is one of the most comfortable saddle i have ridden in and I feel very secure in it, I use it for schooling and trail riding.

·
Super Moderator
10,045 Posts
I have a factory made cutting saddle for my personal horse. We use it when ponying other horses or when doing cattle work. I have a semi-custom western saddle for horses with exceedingly high withers and use it for exercising the horses, fast work, or working cows.

My third western saddle is almost thirty years old and has a ralide tree. It's very lightweight. I use it for young horses when they are getting used to moving with a saddle and having it put on and taken off many times in a session.

I also have a polo saddle for polo. And a hunt seat saddle that I just hack in, or work cattle when I don't want to rope with a certain crew.

Even when I haven't had horse, I always had a saddle. Like when I was a kid in a large city. I like the smell of leather.

·
Super Moderator
26,879 Posts
I think I have a problem. I just can't bring myself to admit to it though. I have ... 10 western saddles and 1 english one. I don't know how it happened. I think it was an accident? Maybe? I don't know... at first i had just one english one but then I got a western one but I don't know, I bought a new english one and gave a lady my old one and she in turn gave me a western one... then I don't they just multiplied?

So anyway... I use my ranch horse saddle most of the time. I very rarely use my english one (mostly just on show days)....

·
104 Posts
I have a Circle Y trail saddle for all around stuff on Doc sincerely that is the only one that fits him, and I ride in a Martin barrel saddle when I ride Jax . Most of the tile I ride bareback though

·
Registered
1 Posts
You would probably have to get a custom-made saddle. The thing about saddles is that even for an animal that they were designed for, they aren’t one-size fits all; you have to get them fitted by a professional, or else your horse will end up with sores or back problems. Likewise, a hypothetical horse saddle would need to be made to order.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Lucky! I learned to ride on an pony that loved to buck/rear/bolt bare back!;)
I am a eventer, but when you are looking for a saddle to learn to ride in...
1.it should fit your horse
2.and fit you
3. you should sit in a lot of saddles, and preferably have an experienced rider sit in them as well. by doing this, you can find a saddle that is comfortable for you, but also be correct, it is common for novice riders to pick out a "comfortable" saddle that is really a poor choice, because it is putting them in a poor position.
4.it is preferable to have some type of grippy stuff on the seat, it is hard to ride, even as a experienced rider, to try to ride correctly, while slipping and sliding all over, because of overly smooth leather on the seat.
5. it is important to take in to consideration what discipline you want to go into after you master the basics.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Definitely make sure the saddle fits you & your horse comfortably. It makes ALL the difference. Riding in an ill-fitting saddle is a no-go!

I use mostly my Black Country dressage saddle, but I also love my all-purpose Tekna saddle (it's a synthetic). I also have a treeless saddle that I use for long trails & it's super comfortable. I have a Barefoot bareback pad as well, which is also comfortable. But I mostly ride in my Tekna or my BC.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I have a Todd Jey Ranch Cutter. I use it for everything.

I also have a Robert Chavez Wade saddle. It's been a while since I've used it, but I love it.

Both were custom.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have several saddles, though most of mine haven't been used in awhile and are more of sentimental pieces (a few are family heirlooms and a couple are my childhood saddles that simply hold too many memories to part with!).

I have 4 Western saddles and 6 English ones. Although I don't really ride Western much anymore, my Western saddle is a Dakota barrel saddle, which I absolutely love, and is very nice for the price point. I've had good luck with using it on multiple horses, and it is very comfortable for me. I have a Longhorn Billy Cook, a Hess & Hopkins, and an older saddle of an unknown brand (much of the leather has been replaced, so all it has is a serial number) that are family heirlooms. I've ridden in all of them and liked them, but they haven't been used in years.

My main English saddle is a Courbette Husar, which I love! I've also had success using it on multiple horses and find it very comfortable. I have another one exactly like it, a Collegiate Graduate I grew up in, a no name I rode in before that, a Crosby Prix des Nations, and a Crosby The Sovereign Prix des Nations 97.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I learned to ride in a western saddle and I own an english versatility saddle (for dressage and jumping). It was a gift. I would like to try an eventing saddle because my versatility saddle doesn't work very well with my anatomy although it has a tremendously good seat (!). I like western because it makes me feel more secure and the riding is more relaxed. :) I also really like bareback because you get to feel your body better and you learn so much out of it! Also: riding bareback is warmer. Sometimes I ride without anything. :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
oh yeah forgot to mention. My english saddle is a kieffer and I ride in a continental gel seat western saddle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts