The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Okay so I bought this saddle at a local tack shop. It doesn't have a brand name marked on it anywhere, just a number on the tie strap (275). I wanted something pretty and not too expensive to show in. Found this and grabbed it! But, I was curious as to exactly what type of saddle it is. The salesperson said it would do great for western pleasure... but I wanted to see what you guys think. Does it look like a reining saddle? Someone said gaited... and that's not what I wanted at all! I have a quarter horse! lol.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not roping - (see in-skirt rigging)

It looks like a pleasure/reining saddle to me.

How long is the skirt length?

FYI I've seen gaited saddles fit on QH's so I wouldn't be worried about that if true

·
Registered
582 Posts
was thinking about the possibility of a gaited saddle for our mare, are the gaited saddles narrow towards the back or wider like the shoulder area? Our mares back is wider than the typical QH and am having saddle fitting issues as the current saddle shifts a lot in the back when riding.
That is a pretty saddle btw!

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
Looks like a trail saddle to me.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I go with reining, pleasure, equitation or training type. I wouldn't say roper, I thought they had larger sturdier horns and pommels. Not barrel, it doesn't have that deep pocket, high cantel or knee block.

Just my unofficial opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Id say it is a trail saddle. Pleasure saddles have a flatter profile, reining saddles usually have less skirting.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
What is it you want to do with the saddle that your concerned?

IMO you could comfortably show/ride pleasure, reining, eq, trail, etc in this saddle, as long as its comfortable for you and your horse. I wouldn't be showing pro reining in it or AQHA world pleasure finals, but its fine for lower level type events. It's probably not ideal for roping (from what little I know) or gymkhana events though.

A photo from the side would be more helpful to determine the type of saddle it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Here it is at the store before I bought it. It is pretty isn't it! Right now I'm trying to figure out if it's a reining saddle. Because that's what I'm planning to do with my horse.

I already have a trail saddle. So, if this isn't a reining saddle I don't need it. I don't want this money I spend sitting around unused!

Anyway, I'm getting this lady who is into reining to check it out. (through video) she's saying it needs full range motion for the fenders. If it doesn't move full motion it's not a reiner? Also, I thought it looked like a reiner because of the seat and the short horn and gullet/swell. Though she says the skirt on it should be more close contact, I guess the shape of it isn't reining style? Also, she says it has too much leather under the fenders, which also isn't good contact, which you need for reining and cutting.

the skirt is around 27 1/2ish.. inches.
I'm planning on reining and I was told the skirt didn't look like a reining type/style

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
was thinking about the possibility of a gaited saddle for our mare, are the gaited saddles narrow towards the back or wider like the shoulder area? Our mares back is wider than the typical QH and am having saddle fitting issues as the current saddle shifts a lot in the back when riding.
That is a pretty saddle btw!

Gaited saddles are flared at the front to allow for more shoulder movement without interfering with the horse. They usually have a completely open channel for the spine as well because most gaited horses are more hollowed out than non-gaited breeds. They arent necessarily narrower towards the back. I only have one gaited saddle and it is on a x-wide paso fino tree. The inside gullet measurement is 7 1/4" and the bar spread is equal to FQHB. Gaited tree are usually a bit flatter or straighter as well. They tend to bridge on non-gaited horses if not fitted properly.

I would say this saddle is just a pleasure saddle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sent a video of me moving the stirrups to show to a lady who rides reining style. She approved and said this saddle will be just fine for reining :) The fenders move ideally.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks Toosexy, her back is in no way flat; in fact she is just a tad downhill which doesn't help. Thank you for your input on gaited saddles. I just heard somewhere that a lot of QH people are using gaited saddles.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Lol first think id think is reining. Horn is too short/small for really anything else. And most pleasure saddles ive seen are shaped a little differently. Doesn't mean it isn't one though lol.
Also, is there anything maybe written underneath/on the bottom of the saddle?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.