The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I have been incredibly indecisive about what to do with my big guy Maverick here. What is he built for in the Western discipline? Besides halter classes-- Though we might do that on the side, I'm hoping for something that involves, well, riding. I am also not super interested in western pleasure-- Nothing against it itself but I just, personally, am not a big fan of the way the horses move. Anything else that I can think of-- even mounted shooting or archery-- I might be game for. Breed unknown but pretty sure he's a very QH-y paint.

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
Look into western dressage...has a huge field of allowances and what I've seen of it looks to be about soft communication and fun...
Looking at the picture of that leg extension makes me think he would be a blast to ride from forward and free-moving to collecting and sitting the motion.
By me it is also very forgiving of tack used is not to be "the fad" choices but affordable.
🐴....

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Cute guy! I'd try ranch horse classes ... they are fun! Most open shows have them now. You'd have a variety of classes to choose from ... Ranch Conformation (like halter), Ranch Trail, Ranch Rail (sort of like pleasure, but NOT like pleasure), Ranch Riding (pattern class) and Ranch Reining (pattern class). If you find a place that does Ranch Horse Versatility, that includes cow classes. You can do individual classes or, if you show your show's series in all the classes (or the max minimum) you can compete for the division title. Depending on your show, the competition can get very tough, which, to me, is a good thing ... makes you up your game AND your horsemanship. Good luck to you & your pony.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look into western dressage...has a huge field of allowances and what I've seen of it looks to be about soft communication and fun...
Looking at the picture of that leg extension makes me think he would be a blast to ride from forward and free-moving to collecting and sitting the motion.
By me it is also very forgiving of tack used is not to be "the fad" choices but affordable.
🐴....
That could be interesting to try! I will have to look into it and see if anyone in my area offers western dressage shows.

Cute guy! I'd try ranch horse classes ... they are fun! Most open shows have them now. You'd have a variety of classes to choose from ... Ranch Conformation (like halter), Ranch Trail, Ranch Rail (sort of like pleasure, but NOT like pleasure), Ranch Riding (pattern class) and Ranch Reining (pattern class). If you find a place that does Ranch Horse Versatility, that includes cow classes. You can do individual classes or, if you show your show's series in all the classes (or the max minimum) you can compete for the division title. Depending on your show, the competition can get very tough, which, to me, is a good thing ... makes you up your game AND your horsemanship. Good luck to you & your pony.
That sounds like it could be fun as well! I know of a fun show that does something like this. I would love to try ranch reining but do they expect the sliding stops that regular reining does? I used to be hoping to one day do freestyle reining with him (at a low level probably LOL) but decided I didn't want to have to shoe his perfectly good feet, which he would have to have sliders on the hinds to do a sliding stop from my understanding.

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
do they expect the sliding stops that regular reining does? I used to be hoping to one day do freestyle reining with him (at a low level probably LOL) but decided I didn't want to have to shoe his perfectly good feet, which he would have to have sliders on the hinds to do a sliding stop from my understanding.
Not necessarily; think of what would a horse do on a ranch ... they don't really slide them on a ranch. BUT, they still have to stop correctly.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, I have a question! Are there versions of these shows that don’t require the horse be AQHA or APHA registered or something? He’s grade and the AQHA one being the first to pop up when I googled it made me a bit concerned about that, and a lot of the other websites and such don’t make it so clear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts