The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. So I have always done self care on my horses but where Im moving to they only have full board. I have my 11 year old mare on Triple Crown Senior and my soon to be 3 year old filly on hyat showtorque . But where i will be stalling them they feed 14 percent pellet horse feed . So do I keep buying my normal feed or let them feed there feed and add a supplement dac bloom?

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum.........

Sounds like this is a established boarding facility.
14% pellet feed....but which one?

I would honestly see what the feed is and ask to have some so the introduction period can begin and when the horses arrive at the barn a almost complete changeover is already accomplished.

Is this what you feed?
I'm not quite sure why you are feeding these specific products to horses in their prime and often are easy keepers.

Most reputable barns don't feed garbage.
If you've toured the facility, seen the horses and they are thriving, look good and appear healthy...
Well, to me appearances tell a lot about a facility. Appearance of the facility grounds, but more how the animals look and are taken daily care of.
My guess is if the place didn't check off your boxes you would not be moving their...
Aside from that, paying full board and then saying your horses need a special diet so you must provide..unless the horses indeed have special needs, I would give their barns food a try and chance.
And I would hold off on "supplementing" anything till you see what if anything your horses actually need/require they are not receiving from the feed & hay offered.
馃惔... jmo..

Registered
This kind of post, and the long long long list of proprietary supplements almost all my local friends feed make me wonder what happened to grass hay? That's what horses naturally eat.

I feed free choice grass hay and a vitamin/mineral supplement, and that's usually it. If a horse is having a problem with that regimen, that is when I start adding or subtracting.

Registered
Hello. I agree with the other replies. If this is a good facility that knows what the are doing with feed (immediately apparent by the appearance and demeanor of the horses) give their program a trial first. My only concern here would be if their feeding program is very different from yours and in that case a transition of a month or two between them is a reasonable thing to do.

Personal opinion here, but I can think of at least three breeders who primarily or only feed alfalfa and bermuda hay and their horses look like a million bucks. Supplements are fine if needed, but understand it is an industry with a product to sell so of course their marketing material says every horse needs to be on one of their feed/supplement products. Dog food is pretty notorious for this too..

Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
Even my senior horse doesn't get senior feed (though she would if I ever felt she needed it). Here's what my boarding barn feeds:

Free choice grass hay all day outside
Enough hay in their stalls to get them through the night
Soaked beet pulp (plain, no molasses)
Alfalfa pellets
A vitamin/mineral balancer*

I add:
Mad Barn W3 omega 3 oil for joint support (most joint supplements don't actually do anything, but omega 3s have an anti-inflammatory effect)
*My preferred vitamin/mineral balancer, Mad Barn Amino Trace+, instead of theirs, as it has better levels for a horse in work (some of the others are retirees)
Plain table salt
A plain white salt lick in her stall

That's it. Most of the horses at this barn are seniors. Some are in their 30s. They all look great!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts