The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you look for in a boarding facility?

What could make a good facility great?

Would you pay more if they had everything you wanted?

What is an example of your dream boarding facility?

Does beauty matter when looking for a place?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I really hope to never board lol but if i had to and could afford my “dream”boarding situation:
Somewhere with a positive energy and minimal drama(no drama is wishful thinking) is number 1.
Next is safety, large open stalls(not a fan of small box stalls if enclosed would prefer option to a run in)
I’ve never lived anywhere with pasture but it would be nice to have an option for a large pasture turnout.
therapy options(free flow walker, swimming etc)
Good ground, covered wash racks with warm water, access to trails.
knowledgable and involved workers and BO.
Cleanliness of the property in general.
I guess I’d have high standards above what my typical budget would allow 😂

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
We are talking dreams here?

Every horse would have the option of 24/7 turnout with another horse or two, with good footing, large, open shelters and no mud.

There would be options for different types of "keepers," for example hard keepers might be kept on grass with good hay under shelters available 24/7. Ponies, metabolic horses, etc would have just enough grass to nibble on here and there, and hay limited to their ideal weight.
All of these fields would have room to gallop.

The barn owner would be casual within reason. For example, I saw a barn where horses were not allowed to run loose in the arenas in case they rolled and ruined the footing.

There would be extensive trails outside with a cross country option and a trail course. Also a gallop track with good footing.

There would be a large indoor and outdoor arena with great footing, and a round pen. Access to these would be easy, with no full time trainers or club hogging them. Maybe an occasional show or clinic would be held. Indoor areas for tacking up, vet and farrier visits. Also a warm wash rack with good drainage.

The hay would be beautiful and tested low nsc. Services would be offered at reasonable prices per month for blanketing, holding for vet and farrier, giving medications.
Feeding your horse's custom supplement blend would be routine and included.

Staff would be knowledgable, and contact owners promptly for any issue. No one smoking near the barn, creepy boyfriends who look like ex-cons hanging around, or trailers parked with people living in them.

A big heated tack room and bathroom, very secure. Trailer parking included.

Staff would keep everything clean and working, and not expect owners to scrub down a wash rack or wash poo stains off concrete.

For this I would pay a whole lot!! Actually I'd have a hard time ever going home. Better not provide snacks.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I think @gottatrot got everything I'd want. Particularly that I'd want huge pastures but also separation for the easy keepers. Maybe this place could be in a hilly area, and the pony pasture would be up on the hilltop where it would be all scrubby and rocky. Their feet would get better, too!

The thing about the creepy boyfriends kind of made me laugh. The trainer we had before this was great, but she had a husband. He always picked her up at the front of the property, even though it meant she had to walk almost half a mile after teaching and doing chores and whatnot to get to him. I always wondered why, until I saw him. I was like, what is this creepy chain-smoking guy in a hotrod doing sitting parked outside of the gate? I guess he must have seen the look because he said, "I'm __'s husband, I'm waiting for her." One or both of them must have realized how creepy looking he was and decided that it was better for him to wait out there. On the one hand, it makes sense, but on the other hand I guess I also kind of felt bad for him that he was judged like that, including by me.

Having said that, yeah, there could be a little clubhouse out by the street where they could wait. It would have comfy chairs, a TV, and a fridge (with a big sign that said NO ALCOHOL).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts