The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mare (This is her: http://www.horseforum.com/horses.php?horse=4375) is allergic to all these:

positive:
grasses -
orchard
bermuda
ryegrass
bahia
weeds -
ragweed
cocklebur
dock/sheep sorrel
waterhemp
trees:
juniper cedar
pecan hickory
mulberry
fungi-
curvularia
oaphalosporium
trichodarma
pullularia
penicillium
foods-
alfafa
molasses
indoor-
jute/sisal
insects –
stable fly
grains – wheat pollen
borderline:
grasses:
timothy
weeds:
saga
trees:
Bm
Fungi:
Candida albicans
Foods:
Corn
Insects:
Horse fly

She also has a history of lameness, arthritis and MANY other things that I don't remember at the moment. She used to be slightly miserable, but since I've owned her she's been very happy. We have gotten three different opinions from vets (there's only so many good vets where my pony is) and they all say the same. The vet has never heard of such a thing, but he has helped her a lot. We have put her on special allergy shots for like every two weeks. She gets special feed, and we take care of her so that she doesn't get any of those things on or inside her. All summer long, she wears a full fly sheet (well it covers the body, stumach, butt and neck) and fly mask. She also gets special horse shoes that allow her to walk on the pavement (she usually gets stone bruises but I try to avoid pavement with shoes or without anyways) She acts like any horse and rarely shows any signs of discomfort. When she does, she kicks/bucks/rears/rolls/puts ears back/bites etc... but it's only like once a year on the coldest days... but she has never hurt me in anyway (well i've fallen off but it was my fault).

Anyways, people tell me that I should put her down and that she is too much of a problem child. We have the money to take care of her (she is a million dollar horse) and my mom and I love her TO DEATH. she is the sweetest horse (anyone who meets her immediatly falls in love with her - people even fight over her to ride her and i have to tell them no.) I've gotten so many different opinions. I'm not going to put her down until it's the right time and she is truely suffering (she is a happy horse now), but I know many of people would. I just want to see what you guys would do.

My question is what would you do about this situation if you had the money to take care of her?

Sorry it's long. Thanks for reading if you did.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I also have a horse with alot of food allergies. It depends on the level of each item on how to procede. I spoke to the lab that did the testing to help make reccomendations on food and enviornment changes. He did best on quality grass hay that wasn't too freshly cut and safe choice.
It boiled down to keeping away from too much protien.
I am curious what symtoms you were having that made you do the testing. Mine itched alot and reacted to bug bites and broke out when the bugs were biting.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I forgot but I also had done the allergy shots but they started off every few days and then got less frequent. I would not even think about putting a horse down that wasn't distressed or in pain. You will know when she is not happy.

·
Registered
496 Posts
how do you know when your horse is allergic to anything?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I would put her down and buy a new one.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's your money and ultimately your choice what to do with it. If she's not in too much pain and seems to be happy, and you're willing to put out the money, I don't see why she should be put down. I wouldn't put her down.

I would put her down and buy a new one.
Not to go off topic, and not to start a fight either (this is just a simple observation), but kevinshorses, I've noticed you seem to enjoy playing devil's advocate around the forum. Am I right?

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
If she is happy and has good quality of life, you are happy with her and are able to do all you want with her. Then I think it is no different than any other horse with a health problem like an ulcer or arthritis. You have to medicate some of them daily as well. No one can tell you whats right or wrong as far as putting an animal down. Only you and your vet know that answer.
For most people it comes down to a matter of money. If you have the money to keep her, then go for it.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
It's your money and ultimately your choice what to do with it. If she's not in too much pain and seems to be happy, and you're willing to put out the money, I don't see why she should be put down. I wouldn't put her down.

Not to go off topic, and not to start a fight either (this is just a simple observation), but kevinshorses, I've noticed you seem to enjoy playing devil's advocate around the forum. Am I right?
I think that northern Utah winter is getting to him :wink::lol:

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I think that northern Utah winter is getting to him :wink::lol:
You are right but that doesn't change my opinion. The OP has a horse that is allergic to just about everything that grows and also has soundness issues. The question that was posed was what would you do if you had the money and could afford to keep her. I gave my answer. Sometimes it is just kinder to let a horse go BEFORE they are miserable.

I like to tell things the way I see them I don't just take a position to be opposite but often times it seems that way.

·
Registered
626 Posts
You are right but that doesn't change my opinion. The OP has a horse that is allergic to just about everything that grows and also has soundness issues. The question that was posed was what would you do if you had the money and could afford to keep her. I gave my answer. Sometimes it is just kinder to let a horse go BEFORE they are miserable.

I like to tell things the way I see them I don't just take a position to be opposite but often times it seems that way.
I definitely see your point. And I was just curious, cause you do seem to disagree quite a lot of the time. No harsh feelings though :]

·
Registered
470 Posts
Take care of her :)
You love her she can have a good life!
Even with the problems she has.

As long as you don't breed her, I don't see a problem! :)

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
As long as you are able to keep her relatively comfortable at the present time, then do what you can for her; when all you are doing is not enough anymore, THAT will be the time to make the harder decision...but while she is remaining healthy and happy with all you are doing for her? There's no reason to euthanize quite yet...just enjoy her while you still have her :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, people say that she is such a problem child. I'm like I would NEVER put her down. the only time i would would be when she's truely suffering/old age hits. she's 15 now and I don't want to breed her at all. well, I know for a fact that she would be the best mommy out there for she takes care of her best horsey (minature horses) friends like her own daughter. she knows i am in control of her, so she treats me like she's the younger sibling. I knew she had some issue because she would NOT stop itching. she has a rash all up and down her belly all summer long (sweet itch). she itches her tail, withers, mouth, neck, legs all day long! it was the saddest thing. finally we got the vets to do some tests and we got the results back... so that's how i found out.

it's nice to know that people understand that she's not in any pain. well she is in pain, but everyone is and she doesn't really show any signs of distress. she is just a happy horse and i love her absolutly to death. nothing could break our bond :D

·
Registered
251 Posts

I like you. I just wish there were more of you! :-o

I know some people are soft and emotional, but I personally would rather just be told the way it is from the start opposed to having my heart broken months down the road when I already invested X-amount of time, money, and became more attached.

·
Registered
370 Posts
it's nice to know that people understand that she's not in any pain. well she is in pain, but everyone is and she doesn't really show any signs of distress.

What do you mean by this? Is she in pain or not? What do you mean by "everyone is"?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What do you mean by this? Is she in pain or not? What do you mean by "everyone is"?

Oh woops, I was typing fast. I mean like she is in pain, but not life and death pain. We treat her best we can, but she is always going to be in some sort of pain (ie she will always be a little off, but for her she's sound, also her muscles are always stiff so yeah). But she is a pretty good girl and I love her very much (she knows that and loves me very much too). I wouldn't trade her for the world :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
I try my best to cooperate, but some days it's really hard for I am in pain and don't feel like doing work.
If this is a brood mare and she is producing unreal babies - collect some embroyo's and put her down!

Otherwise, Put her down!

Many times people become very selfish and want to perpetuate an animals life for no good end. Or it becomes a conversation piece! "This is my rescue horse" "No, I have to have special feed for this horse because of all its alergies".
Many older people enjoy going to the doctor as the doctor gives them attention they are not getting elsewhere for 15 minutes every other week. They enjoy going to the drugstore so they can talk to their friends about how much a new medicine costs. They enjoy taking more and more pills as It becomes sort of a bragging right. "I'm up to 17 pills a day."
It is your money and you can spend it how you choose, but at some point you have to ask, is it ethical. Would it be slightly wrong to spend $100,000/year in medicine to keep a $500 paint gelding alive that is ridden 5 times/year. Or say you have plenty of money, would you be ethically correct to spend $1,000,000 for the same horse to keep him alive on some rare medicine? Or would you spend $10,000,000/year. Most of us would spend $1,000 on medicine on a special horse. Some of us could spend $10,000. At some point though it becomes ethically wrong!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.