The Horse Forum banner

What would you like to see as far as ground manners in a horse?

703 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Milton'sMama
I'm currently in the middle of training my 2 1/2 yr old QH gelding, and would like to hear what y'all would like to see as far as groundwork and ground manners in any horse? I want to train this horse right.
He is green broke, but we won't be starting further saddle training until he's back up to a healthy weight, as he's pretty underweight currently. He already is very respectful in his manners, but I want to see what you guys would like to see in a horse for ground manners.
Thanks!
Any ideas welcome!

Rectangle Font Art Fur Circle
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
17,000 Posts
Easy to catch out on pasture, no rushing gates, no dancing on the lead, walk at or slightly behind my shoulder, tie and stand quietly and patiently, load and unload & ride in trailer, bathe without drama, clip without fuss, stand for grooming, farrier, vet, tie to side of trailer and stand, stand for tacking & untacking, mounting & dismounting (this is a pet peeve for me, I'll sell a horse that won't be still for mounting and dismounting). If I want to stop and chat with a friend, the horse will stand quietly and either graze or stand patiently until I'm done.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts