The Horse Forum banner

What would you like to see as far as ground manners in a horse?

710 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Milton'sMama
I'm currently in the middle of training my 2 1/2 yr old QH gelding, and would like to hear what y'all would like to see as far as groundwork and ground manners in any horse? I want to train this horse right.
He is green broke, but we won't be starting further saddle training until he's back up to a healthy weight, as he's pretty underweight currently. He already is very respectful in his manners, but I want to see what you guys would like to see in a horse for ground manners.
Thanks!
Any ideas welcome!

Rectangle Font Art Fur Circle
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone else took most of it. But just skimming through, I don't remember if anyone said "will accept fly spray"? I am not too good at training, and I need everything to go just right when I'm trying to teach a horse something; and if the horse is covered with flies and can't focus, then I can't do anything with them. So to me this is a foundational required skill (unless it's winter I guess).
Yes, that was a actually the first thing I taught him. We worked on it a few days, and he's cool with it now.
It's funny, I've never had a horse be afraid of so many things- he spooked at my plastic crinkly water bottle the other day, so we spent 10mins learning the water bottle is not scary. 😅

1 - 3 of 3 Posts