The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well she's NOT for sale YET but im thinking of selling her soon as i would like a bigger horse.

I need you to tell me, what sort of price would you pay for Bubbles?
She is a newly 24yr young TB dark Bay/Black mare with a white star. She however, does not think she is 24 and the only way you can really tell she is as old as she is, are the dents behind her eyes (dunno if they have a name)

She needs a strong rider, I was thrown in the deep end when we purchased her as a schoolmistress fit for a complete begginer, which i was.. and boy did i learn to stay on quickly, and hold on hard.

She is a very good doer in the food department, keeps her weight but does not gain it, she does not need hardfeeding whatsoever, we do give her some hay in winter when grass is scarce though. She is covered in winter but still gets very fluffy looks cute though :lol:. She is paddocked at the moment with another mare and they are good together, bubbles does not get attatched unless her paddock mate is sick, then good luck getting a quiet get away. Only neighs out does not try getting back to paddock.

Lunges to voice command and hand movements (eg hand up and head down for woah.) Has freejumped 1.2m while i have had her. I however am still learning and only jump up to 90cm, but she does it easy. She does not have arthritis, is good for the farrier, but does not like the sound of the hammer reshaping shoes she flicks her head at it.

Fears... Bubbles does not like pigs, goats, miniature horses in paddock with her, or donkeys. She doesnt like small things around her feet.
She is fine with heavy traffic (eg milk tankers etc) fine with all farm machinery, loud cars, motorbikes, diggers etc etc. I have been told she is not so keen on waves as they make her dizzy, i havent tried and tested this though as i was also told she HATES dressage... which she doesnt.

Riding wise... She responds better bitless and is easier to slow down that way. Otherwise she is ridden in a D-ring eggbutt snaffle 5'. she does have tb mareish days and she does know if you cannot handle what she can give. Used to bolt, has not with me for over a year im not sure what she would do with others. Has never bucked, reared, pigrooted etc.
If you will not be the boss of her she will take advantage unfortunately.

Knows basic dressage; goes on an outline naturally especially at canter, on her bad days you do need to make her go down. She knows flying changes both on the flat and in the air. Walk to canter established for showjumping.

Don't let her age phase you, while she is 24, she does not need any more maintanence than that of a younger horse. Has never needed the vet although has had regular checkups, the only bills we pay for her are that of any other horse.. Farriery and worming. She is cheap to keep haha.
Is half shod.
She LOVES games haha ALWAYS wins the pole bending without fail, even beat a pony that had been to HOY and competed games.
ALWAYS comes home with ribbons :lol:

I could go on and on and on haha but your all probably bored with this by now so here's some pics of my girl :)
I also have videos on youtube. my username ---> hothorseridagalholly

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
churumbeque, the OP is in New Zealand. I don't think they have the glut of horses we do here in the U.S.

Holly, take what I'm about to say with the way it's intended, as opinion and advice, not a critique of your horse.

She's not a beginner's horse, so that right there knocks her price down.

She appears to be uber sensitive and sometimes hard to handle, so again that affects her price.

She's also an aged horse, which is the biggest blow to her pricing.

At 24, regardless of how healthy she is, she's in her golden years. You can't expect someone to pay a large sum for an animal that may or may not last another 5 to 10 years.

I don't know what the rate of exchange is, but I'd say no more than $800.00 to $1,000.00, with $1,000.00 being on the high end.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Unfortunately, those willing to pay for a horse that age will most likely be looking for something their child can ride as a first horse. An older TB that needs an experienced rider is going to be a tough sell. If you're interested in finding a new partner, I would be more inclined to work at finding the very best home for her, even if that means a cheap - $0 price tag.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to agree with what others have said. She's a very pretty mare, but most people (that I know at least) aren't going to pay much for a horse that age unless its bomb proof for their child. When I was looking for a horse, I wasn't looking at anything over 15. If she were ten years younger, you could put a bigger price tag on her or if she were bomb proof you could put a bigger price tag on her, but the fact that she is in her mid 20s AND she needs an experienced rider really cuts that down.

On the plus side, she's beautiful and looks like a great jumper :)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yea i kinda thought she wouldnt have a high price tag on her haha but that doesnt bother me in the slightest as i would far rather her go free to a good home than sell her and find out shes not being treated right.

Although i do think part of her behavioural issue is the grass she's on. as our property is dairy pasture and the last place she was on was completely different. I had her on a friends place for a month or so and she was golden in behaviour (as in horse for beginner) but i wouldnt call her a beginners horse as if i were to sell her and find out she had been a nutcase for the new owner id feel bad, i dont want anyone to get hurt on her because of me saying shes a beginners horse and then her turning out to be nutty on the grass or whatever.

(must say though, if your nervous but can handle her shes bloody well behaved but as soon as you get someone to cocky on her... yea behaviour is out the window. she does NOT like cocky people at all :L)

·
Registered
11 Posts
(must say though, if your nervous but can handle her shes bloody well behaved but as soon as you get someone to cocky on her... yea behaviour is out the window. she does NOT like cocky people at all :L)
Lol...I ALWAYS love the horses that don't like cocky people! Sometimes they need their confidence taken down a notch

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, I have to say, I agree with the others. We are looking for a tall horse right now...and won't look at anything over 11. Most horses by that age are very mellow, so most people will only purchase the older horses for their children-which this mare sounds like she would not be good for. She sounds like she needs an experienced rider, and most experienced riders are looking for younger mounts. So, due to this mare's age and hot-ness, I would say that if you were in a hurry to sell her I would offer her free to a good home, or if you are willing to wait awhile...around $500. I saw a gelding for sale on equine.com that was young and quiet but only sound for trail riding and they were asking $500 for him and that was negotiable. This mare probably won't be jumping more then 2' or so for very much longer, so it is going to be a tough sale. Best of luck...p.s. how tall is she?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bubbles is 15.2hh i was told by last owner. Never had her measured though.
lol and youd be suprised how high she can still jump, she cleared the gate by around 40cm lol.. and the gate is around 1.1m and 20cm above her paddock ground level. she wasnt purposely trying to escape she got a fright when a bull broke through the fence and charged at her.. loony bull.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.