The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havea comming 4 year old in Apirl, he isa 15.2 hand TB bay mare, she is regesterd I just have been told her papers never got tracked down, she never raced but was bred for it. She has been started undersaddle since march of 09. She walks,trots canters has good forward transtions nad can turn on the forhand, really learning to except the bit and strech into it and use her bodey correctly, she isnt spooky at all, she loves being wormed and so far hasnt needed any shoes. she doesnt kick, rear or act really naughty but tends to have her 3 year old youngin moments as do all young horses so that isnt really a vice. SHe is growing alot and should be about 16.1 I got her for 500.00 and when I got her you pretty much couldnt tough her due to being abandonded for 8 months and was pretty sad looking when I got her. Here are the bet pictures I have of her, I am not selling her just am very intrested to how much anyone else would pay, sh eis going to be my little event horse if she doesnt take to XC then I will do mainly dressage and jumping but she has free jumped 4ft and has amazing form!:shock:

Attachments

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
I think time will tell what she can do and how much she's worth--if she was bred to race, was she trained? That could be why you're only getting her for five hundred dollars--any horse IMO that you get thats been left out to pasture with little or no work is going to be a lot to bring back and to handle. With everything you said right now, I'd pay 500 dollars for her, unless she has amazing bloodlines and I was looking to race her.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She was left ina stall for 8 months and had 0 training besides halter broke and barly she now does amazing groundwork stuff and free jumps, can be ridden completly walk trot and canter, turns on the forhand and she wa orgianly for sale for 2k and the owner just wanted to get rid of her cause she had college and did have money for bored and such.

·
Registered
509 Posts
With all you said, I would probably have paid 500, maybe a little more. That for the simple reason, in my opinion, it takes time to bring a horse back from little handling. Building up the wind, manners, groundwork, etc. So I think up to 700 max for me. That's just my opinion. However, she's very pretty. Her withers look kinda flat, but I'm tired and on a crappy computer. lol I like how in the jumping picture her front feet are tucked up in the same place not just dangling. :D

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Okay thanks, But what I am saying is she doesnt act at all like a rescue and she is worth a bit more then a few hundred in my opinion. She is tottaly broke, been shown and acts like 6 year old and is a reat sweet horse and super easy keeper, just cuse se is young and has a bad background doent mean she isnt worth a whole lot.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yes, Okay thanks, But what I am saying is she doesnt act at all like a rescue and she is worth a bit more then a few hundred in my opinion. She is tottaly broke, been shown and acts like 6 year old and is a reat sweet horse and super easy keeper, just cuse se is young and has a bad background doent mean she isnt worth a whole lot.
No it doesn't. It sounds like you got a great deal. I'm glad she's an easy keeper (one of mine likes making her stall as messy as possible. lol). Some horses are sweet no matter what happens, some aren't. I just thought from what you said that I wouldn't have paid much more, although it looks like you got a great deal. :lol: If I was more into jumping and eventing I may steal her. Just kidding.. I wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL I was asking tho how much would one pay to buy her now after all the time nad training I have put on her. LOL I am sorry if I stepped on ur toes and what not I didnt fully unerstand what you ment. Thanks, and sad to say but she would tottaly be okay iwth you stealing her cuase she LOVES EVERYONE.

·
Registered
509 Posts
LOL I was asking tho how much would one pay to buy her now after all the time nad training I have put on her. LOL I am sorry if I stepped on ur toes and what not I didnt fully unerstand what you ment. Thanks, and sad to say but she would tottaly be okay iwth you stealing her cuase she LOVES EVERYONE.
OH!!!!!!!!!! I thought you meant how much before all that work was done on her. My bad! Ok, that changes things. Ok, well just based on what you said (around here at least) she'd probably go for $1,000. Maybe more or less depending on person and how she looks in person.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Is she strictly arena trained or have you hacked her out a fair bit? As an arena horse I'd agree with $800-1000, but with trail miles on her and being as sound as you've said, I could see people paying anywhere from $1500-3000 around here. Trail horses are in high demand here, arena horses are as well but only once seasoned, not just started. People want 8-14 year old arena horses so they know their kid is going to be safe.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes she has been out alot and even the first time was like sure, w.e like shed done it over a billion times, no spook or jigging and thats with cars and traffic, dogs trying t chase us (that is when she just stopped and pooped in its face and grunted) HAHA like so, i can kick you. she isnt all crazy in new places and is wonderful with other horses! I have never had her spook undersaddle with me and even on the ground she is an angel!!! lol I LOVE HER TO DEATH. THANKS!!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
In Aus tb's are a dime a dozen. You pick up a really stunning, well conformed, good moving tb off the track for nothing, or sometimes up to $500. Very few go for more than that. i wouldn't have paid more than $200 for her when you got her.
She's ok, but she doesn't really strike me as a really stunning, quality performance horse. If she's quiet, a good pony club horse and maybe some low level eventing? I'd pay max $1000 for her.
I brought a tb mare ott for AU$1000 a couple of years ago. REALLY pretty mare, nice mover, quite trainable etc. i was ripped off big time, I got her from my work and they said they'd dog her if I didn't take her because they had too many.
I got her going to elementary dressage, in beautifull, muscled, shiney condition, rode her bareback with no drams etc.
Couldn't sell her. Ended up passing her off for $700. That's tb's for you! They're not much of an investment unless you get a REALLY stunning one.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are all pictures when she is fuzzy so you cant really see how great she can look, She is actuly very stunning, and loes to work, has free jumped for ft. Thanks, but I personly dont see what ur saying since those are the most recent pictures and i have said she is very young and never raced or trained to race, also that she is a rescue. But thanks for ur opinion always worth hearing everyones opinions! Really thank you :)

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Even more reason for her to be worth a pile, if she's a rescue. She's cute. I wouldn't say that she was a jaw dropper though. She doesn't have the conformation that really appeals to me. However in saying that I'm talking from a dressage perspective, so to a jumper they may have a different opinion.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WHat do you mean by : "Even more reason for her to be worth a pile, if she's a rescue." ???? Its not like she was abused, she just wanst handled like she shoould have been, but today when i tell people about her and her story they wouldnt ever guessed that. SO i am kinda confused to what you are saying.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Oops sorry i meant not be worth a pile, like not be worth a heap of money.
Don't get your back up over this, I'm just stating my opinion and the general prices in my area. You pick up rescues for nothing over here. And no, not the ones that have been beaten or such, a rescue basically meaning not in the best condition. Then people sell them on for up to $1000 usually, unless the horse is a 'diamond in the rough' and is worth more. I wouldn't pay more than $2500 for a tb, and that tb would have to be pretty young, with excellent movement, conformation and temperament. You're girl sounds to have a lovely temperament, but by lookign at those photo's she doesn't have stunning conformation and I would doubt that she had really good movement because of that. I may be wrong, but i'd want to see video before I backed down from that opinion.

I'm not saying your horse is 'bad' at all, she's a very cute mare that obviously gives you alot of pleasure, and if you were to sell her now I'm sure you would get a fairly reasonable amount of money on her. Value is in the eye of the beholder, what may be a very valuable horse to one person may be worth nothing to the next, and vice versa.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Tb's mature early??? it's WB's and cold breeds that grow until they are 6 or 7. Tb's stop growing at 4 to 5 if they are late maturers for their breed. Hence why they are raced so early in life. A Wb at 2 years old still looks gangly and unco ordinated where as a TB looks pretty much totally mature. My mare was 3 when I got her and she grew maybe another 1/2 inch MAX, the only filling out she did was from the feed and work I was pumping into her.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.