The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own this pony for 7 months now. He is a rescue that didn't have no ground manners. He was dangerous and he didn't know anything.

We taught him how to lead, lunge, give hooves, etc... He was a biter, kicker and rearer. We worked a lot on this and he is much better. He does everything I want him to do and isn't dangerous anymore.

However, when I work with him he will keep his ears down. Not completely down, they are just turned backwards. Is this sign of submisivness or that he is uncomfortable? Still disrespect?
He will still try to nip from time to time. It's enough if I lift a finger or say no. Then he will stop but will try to put his mouth on my hand and I don't know if this is see, I'm good, I won't do that again, or is it how much do you allow me?

When I am brushing him in the stall, he will continuously try to bite things. The door, the wall, the fence between his and next box. The nextbox horse gets ****ed off and then attacks pony (pony is the lowest in the herd). Pony backs off and as soon the nextbox horse calms down, pony goes biting the fence again.
So, this is irritating and dangerous. I try to keep him away from the fence and I want him not to bite anything. But this will always turn into me slapping him everytime he bites, but it doesn't make him stop for long. I back him off in the corner of the stall and brush him there. Everything's ok, until I don't go to his side. As soon as my body isn't blocking his way he will walk to the fence, biting it again. Of course I react and send him back after his first step, but this makes brushing impossible. He won't stay on place. I made him go back so many times and he always stepped forward when I went away from his way. Suddenly he reared, when I backed him right in the corner. I'm 50% sure it was disrespect, but other 50% tell me he was afraid and frustrated. I backed him of in the corner and I was still giving him order to back off when he didn't have place anymore, unless he would turn left with his hind end. Was it my fault?

I gave up on brushing and just worked on him standing where I want him to. In 3 minutes he got it and stand where I asked him while I was walking all around. He wasn't happy though... His ears were pinned down and he kept turning his head in direction where I was. When I aprroached him he put his ears forward.

What do you think about his behaviour? What do you think of my way of work with him? Is he afraid of me?

·
Registered
170 Posts
This pony IS dangerous. He reared at you and he's still trying to bite you (nip, bite, it's all the same to me). "Putting his mouth on your hand" is not friendly or submissive.

In the stall, is he really aggressively biting, or is he actually cribbing? Are his ears back tightly (pinned) or are they just laid back in a more relaxed way? If they're pinned, he's angry.

Backing him into a corner wasn't a good idea, but he still shouldn't have reared. He can be afraid and frustrated and still not have to rear. I think he needs a lot more work. This is the kind of situation where I would round pen him -- but carefully because of his aggression. For instance, I'd have a whip or rope handy and be prepared to use it. If you've never done round penning before, it would be best to either have a professional do it, or use another method to instill submission, preferably one that is NOT too forceful, because I think he'll respond with aggression. He sounds like he's used to being the boss and is having a very hard time adjusting. I could be wrong about what's going on, but he's definitely not truly safe.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Can you get a video of this behaviour? Its hard to say without seeing what he's doing. It may be grumpiness, misbehaviour or down right dangerous.

Honestly, if I were you, I would ensure he's in no pain, and then get a trainer out to assist you. Don't put yourself in danger. If you handle/work with him make sure you have a hard hat on, and he's got a headcollar on. Don't go in to his box unless you're bringing him out or putting him back.

Also, try and make sure someone is around just in case you do end up in trouble.

Well done to you for rescueing him, but I would honestly say you require a bit of help from a trainer to help with your knowledge of his body behaviour and what you need to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the stall, is he really aggressively biting, or is he actually cribbing? Are his ears back tightly (pinned) or are they just laid back in a more relaxed way? If they're pinned, he's angry.
Ears are pinned. Also when I'm backing him (I wiggle my finger in the air and make that clicking sound that means go) his ears are pinned and he helds his head very high.

This is the kind of situation where I would round pen him -- but carefully because of his aggression.
I don't have a round pen, but I lunge him. I didn't work with him in 3 weeks actually... Just basic stuff, brushing and hoof picking. Well, when I lunge him he does everything, wtc, stop, turns when I say, but his ears are down all the time. Not pinned, but I wouldn't call them relax either. I don't need a lunge whip to lunge him. He behaves and doesn't do anything agressive.

He sounds like he's used to being the boss and is having a very hard time adjusting.
He never learned to respect people. But around horses, everyone else bosses him around.

Can you get a video of this behaviour?
I board him and I don't know if owners of the place will allow me to film their place. I'll ask though...

Honestly, if I were you, I would ensure he's in no pain
You think he is in pain? What could be wrong and what has you thinking this way?

get a trainer out to assist you
This is a good idea. Can't do it this month though... I just moved away from my parent's house and I can't afford it now. Next month.

Don't go in to his box unless you're bringing him out or putting him back.
He isn't that agressive... I'm going in and out every day for months, with him loose and I pick his hooves. He never did everything to me while I was cleaning his hooves or giving him a scratch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.