The Horse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

the horse we bought in winter is changing colors. He is from Spain and we have no idea how his parents look like. We did a Greying Test because he had a lot of gray hair in winter and it came back negative.

While losing his pretty dark winter coat, he became somewhat buckskiny, and now he is getting dark again starting from the front and the back. Any idea?

That one is from 1 month ago
Horse Vertebrate Working animal Liver Mammal

And these are today

Horse Sky Plant Tree Working animal

Plant Natural landscape Sky Grass Horse

Working animal Plant Grass Terrestrial animal Grazing

Horse Sky Plant Tree Liver

Natural environment Plant Terrestrial animal Grass Snout

·
Registered
799 Posts
I know you got a negative greying test (not sure what that is exactly) but, to my eye, I see a grey horse. If he's Andalusian, he looks a lot like what my gelding did. He was buckskin color and slowly went grey with a short time of rose grey (so gorgeous!) until he was all grey.

·
Super Moderator
14,742 Posts
It would mean he was tested to see if he carried the grey gene.

Dapple is not a color. Most horses in good health will show dappling to some extent or another. Both greys and silvers tend to dapple heavily. It is a phase on a grey but is part of silver it seems. Ticking is not uncommon and can be extensive especially with some white patterns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your thoughts and knowledge.

Yes, we did a test to see if he carries the Grey Gen and it came back gg. He is almost three years old. We'll see, where his color will go from here :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts