The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking Roman's ears a few days ago and noticed these fly like things hanging out there. They flew away but would keep coming back and in this picture you can see a bit of blood. I looked at them again recently and it kind of looks like...I don't know.

I doubt this is it but as an example, kind of crusty looking? Or like little tiny black worms which I doubt they are.

Someone suggested they were ticks and another suggested gnats. I'm not sure what they are and I can get more pictures if I see them again.

Either one, what do I do to treat it? Or just get some flyspray, Equi-Spot?

·
Administrator
35,825 Posts
Aural plaque is associated with small biting flies that get in the ears - I put fly masks on mine as soon as they appear but you could try smearing something like Vaseline inside the top of the ear to stop them getting a hold to bite or maybe the pink SWAT ointment for wounds that also deters flies if the bites are already there - just don't get anything right down in the ear

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
If they are so small that they almost look like big dust particles they are probably some species of gnats, no-see-ums, midges... they go by a lot of names.

Ours have been out and about for a couple of weeks. I just spray some fly spray on a rag and then wipe it over the ear and on their outer ear hair.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We around here call them "those darn blood sucking black gnats!" I'm with jaydee in regards to the Swat ointment. It's the only thing I have used that manages to stay put for any length of time to give my horses relief from those dang things! I had some bite me once, they left holes where they were that dripped blood! And they itched like crazy for days afterward! A fly mask with ears would work also, but my horses freaked at having those things on their ears. Maybe yours is more sensible.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gnats in Reiningcatsanddogs' picture look WAY too small for whatever is hanging out in Roman's ears. I got another picture tonight. It's kinda nasty looking.

I have a container of SWAT, but not "pink".

·
Registered
5,551 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh, and I don't think that it matters what color the Swat is. I've used the clear also. It's the sticky consistency and the insect repellent ingredient that keeps it on and the flies away.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

I didn't see any bugs on that list (wow, so many :shock:) nor think they're black flies, they don't look the same and kind of look bigger. :/

Someone suggested calling the vet which I'll probably do. And maybe at the same time he can get his vaccines.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some just told me they are definitely gnats. Yes?

·
Registered
96 Posts
From the site that I shared the link to above. They say black flies or buffalo gnats. We call them black gnats here. Not sure what the name is where you are located, but I would say it's probably the same species. Maybe a slight variation.

Ours look identical to the ones in the pictures on the site that I gave you the link to.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
My horses [Lacey got them, and Fabs has them too] get those here. The wild deer all have them too.

I'm not sure exactly what their name is, but SWAT does help. I find that reapplying SWAT every 2-3 days is the only way to really make sure they stay away. That, and/or a flymask with ears if your horse will tolerate one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi Roman,

I'm in KS too and those ear bugs are always here starting in the spring through fall. My mules/horses are in pasture so a fly mask isn't a safe thing to leave on them. I have sometimes wiped their ears with fly spray on a rag but for the most part I ignore them (the gnats or whatever they are).

They don't seem to bother my animals at all. I am North of Wichita, where are you?

I ride frequently at Medicine Lodge, KS.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
35,825 Posts
Fly masks are designed for turnout. Just buy a good one. My Cashel one's last a few years. Some horses get anxious about having the ears on the first couple of times but soon get used to it
They aren't laying eggs to turn into maggots in his ears are they?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Some kind of gnat or midge.

It doesn't matter what they are properly called. They are nasty bloodsuckers that torment horses. I am usually SO "green", but I use name brand repellents to protect my boy.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Roman,

I'm in KS too and those ear bugs are always here starting in the spring through fall. My mules/horses are in pasture so a fly mask isn't a safe thing to leave on them. I have sometimes wiped their ears with fly spray on a rag but for the most part I ignore them (the gnats or whatever they are).

They don't seem to bother my animals at all. I am North of Wichita, where are you?

I ride frequently at Medicine Lodge, KS.

Good luck!
Northern Kansas

Fly masks are designed for turnout. Just buy a good one. My Cashel one's last a few years. Some horses get anxious about having the ears on the first couple of times but soon get used to it
They aren't laying eggs to turn into maggots in his ears are they?
I plan on buying a fly mask this year. Kind of debating whether to get a sheet too because they have a seven course meal on his shoulders. :/

I'm not sure if they are or not. I've never seen these before. D:

So I take the Swat and apply it on the edges of the ears?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I put Swat on the inside of the ears and tips, then kind of wipe my fingers off on the outside of the ears.

Last few years I have used Tea Tree Oil mixed with Vaseline, and feel it works just as well, for less $.

I heard to get a 1 oz bottle of the Tea Tree Oil at Meijer, Kmart, Walmart, any drug store, and a large tub of Vaseline. I watch the prices on the oil and get it for $5 sometimes at half price, usually is $10.

Melt the Vaseline in it's own tub in the microwave, maybe 3 or 4 minutes to start, stir and continue 1 minute at a time until clear.
Then add the Tea Tree Oil, stirring it in well and let sit until solid.

It will overfill the container so I pour a little in a small bottle and keep it the house for my own use, and the dog's ears too.

Also I sort of modified it. Used 1/2 bottle with medium tub of store brand Vaseline.
Then mixed the other half in a spray bottle of Witch Hazel, that is very soothing and calming when sprayed on fresh insect bites.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.