The Horse Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Beach gallop during a horse trekking trip on my honeymoon in Ireland.

Knowing what I know now, I recognize I was really just a passenger and the horse did her job expertly, with little help from me. Wish I could go back now, 8 years later as a much more competent rider.

Still, it's a memory of a lifetime for me, and even for my lovely husband who actually came off during that gallop (but got back on, motivated by the whiskey waiting for him back at the B&B :wink:)

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
As a teen we'd sometimes go for midnight rides during summer and winter. It seemed to always be the nicest time to ride. The beauty of nature in the moonlight seems to feed the soul. When I was working my fearful horse at liberty asking him to cross a plastic tarp, he left the paddock, walking a few strides then stopped. I signalled him to come back which he did then with little guidance from me he crossed the tarp like a trooper. I can't begin to describe the thrill I felt.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
My first ever ride on a trained reining horse, the highlight being the roll back, couldn't stop smiling:wink:
This. Absolutely this. And finally feeling what a real sliding stop was like. That was probably 30 years ago, and I still remember the place, the feeling, and the horse's name: Seven. It was the only time I ever got to ride him.

As a kid, we used to take our horses swimming in a cove on a lake. Or rather, the other kids did. I think I owned the only horse in California that Could. Not. Swim. She loved the water though, and would wade out until most horses would rise and swim. Not her. She'd rear and continue walking on her hinds until she was up to her neck - then down we'd go and up she'd come in a spin and tip-toe her way back to knee-deep water. If I wasn't careful, that's where she'd drop and roll! :lol:

Oh - and the incredible feeling of being the Very. First. Person. to sit on the back of a baby you've owned since birth and knowing that the reason she isn't even trying to buck you off is because you did it right.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My first time riding bareback. It was on a 23 year old Arabian therapy horse who was the sweetest boy. Naturally I took a corner too fast and sort of just "slid off" the side of him and fell smack on my back. I remember the feeling of his warm back moving underneath me versus the saddle, and it was amazing. Also, cantering down a beach in Costa Rica with a guide yelling over the wind about how much he liked beer.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Also, cantering down a beach in Costa Rica with a guide yelling over the wind about how much he liked beer.
Bahahahaha, reminds me of when I went with a friend on a trail ride while vacationing in Mexico. Of course, riding string horses we didn't even really have to pay attention but we got a kick out of it because the wranglers would take turns serenading us with Mexican songs. We were in a group of about 15 and all but 2 were women/girls.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This was from the back of Speedy in Costa Rica on one of the trails:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Riding a horse in Costa Rica up a mountain, passing by some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen, and then the guide pointing out an exotic bird, laughing to himself as we admired it, and then saying, "we eat them for Christmas!"

Also, galloping my mare bareback in open fields - not being sure if you'll be able to stop, but it's the most freeing thing ever. :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
One morning very early my husband and I took the horses out and rode down a track in the woods. It had snowed overnight and all the trees were black with white snow clinging to all the branches. It was a white, muffled world and we were the only thing moving in it. The only sound was our horses.... It was magical.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The most fun I have had was trekking in Ireland, we galloped on the beach and rode in the sand dunes and in the sea, oh it was amazing, I wish I could do that everyday. I just remember the feeling of galloping full speed down the beach and not being able to stop smiling, it was incredible, i'll never forget it.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
-holiday photo shoot with Santa hats :)
-swimming in the creek
-picnic trail ride
-just general messing around, seeing what I can do-riding backwards, no hands, etc
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Riding with friends, telling stories and jokes, and laughing so hard we almost fell out of our saddles...while the horses stood stock still, looking at us like we were aliens!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts