The Horse Forum banner

Whats the worst youve ever been hurt...

4853 Views 47 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  Zambiesaur
....by a horse.

I got trampled 5 yeard ago by an Irish Draft that was under anasthesia. I was working with a vet, we were doing a complete resection when she came out of the anasthesia suddenly and stomped me into a puddle of human goo. Im still not completely healed from it, I have one more surgery to go to repair the hiatal hernia I got from her stomping on my abdomen.
  • Wow
Reactions: BethR and weeedlady
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

· Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,971 Posts
A trainer friend of mine had a young stallion that he was real high on. He was just getting him on cows, was saddling him up that morning, and the horse reached around and literally ripped his upper lip off! As in GONE.
He ended up having surgery to try and make a new upper lip and grew a mustache to help hide it. But you could tell something had happened.

· Premium Member
8,078 Posts
A trainer friend of mine had a young stallion that he was real high on. He was just getting him on cows, was saddling him up that morning, and the horse reached around and literally ripped his upper lip off! As in GONE.
He ended up having surgery to try and make a new upper lip and grew a mustache to help hide it. But you could tell something had happened.
Many years ago I rode a horse for an older man. The horse had been a stud for the 9 years, the former owner was trying to hand breed by herself, the mare wasn't receptive, the stud became frustrated as he couldn't mount her. He then bit the ear off his owner.
She immediately gelded and sold him.

The older gentleman took him to a cutting where the horse proceeded to mount a mare in heat with the riders on board while in the lope circle. Thank goodness no one was injured. But I fixed that problem 😂

· Registered
13,106 Posts
Like @Woodhaven I would have a tough time deciding which one was the worst. Probably the first day my own horse was delivered to my parents farm when I was 12. I never used a saddle in those days. I got on her bareback to ride her thru our pasture, which was ~90 acres back then. She unwittingly walked over a pheasant who then tried to fly, hit her tummy, she went one way while I went the other. That was when I decided to learn how to tuck n roll.

That was the beginning of lifelong damage to my spine. I didn't tell my parents what happened for about two weeks, and only then because I was having noticeable trouble getting up and then sitting back down again. I was terrified they would sell my horse --- thankfully my grandfather intervened, telling them it wasn't the horse's fault and thankfully being farm folks they got that through their heads. Back then (1959) not near as much was known about lower back injuries as today, so it was a very slow downward deterioration of the back that I did nothing to help by reschooling some really rank horses as a young adult, finding them good homes with trail riders, and also riding my snowmobile like it was the General Lee on The Dukes of Hazzard - I'm from the OH/PA border originally:)

· Registered
136 Posts
Feb 8th I was trail riding my gelding (who was badly abused in the past) when he bolted. A branch was hanging out over the trail so I shifted right, but then he did too and I couldn't get squared up before hitting a tree on the right. Still out of work with fractured right elbow (plates & 12 screws) and fractured sternum no repair as no displacement Good times, but as of last week I'm allowed to lift a whole pound!!

· Registered
43 Posts
oddly enough, I got hurt worse while feeding than riding! My mentor asked me to feed for her one evening, so I went out to her property to get everything set up. She keeps her grain in large metal trash cans with 50lbs weight on top so a horse cannot somehow get into the cans. I was by myself, I am a quite small woman (only about 105lbs) and the trashcan are quite large, I had to lift the weight high to get it off. I didn't think much of it, but it turns out while doing that I hurt myself severely. Somehow (my doctors not even for sure what happened exactly to cause it) but the cartilage connecting my 10th ribs TORE! This means there's nothing connecting my 10th ribs to my ribcage in the front.. so my 10th ribs move around freely, and sometimes gets hooked under other ribs. Worse part is though, when I ride a trot or lope, my floating ribs bounce up and down on nerves in my abdomen causing excruciating pain. Its the worst pain I've ever felt In my life. Luckily, I am able to post trot and canter in a 2 point position.. but I ride western! I live in West Texas so I can't find any trainers to properly teach me how to ride posting or 2-point so I just have to do the best I can. People give we weird looks riding with English disciplines in a western saddle, but they don't know my story so I don't let it get to me. I have surgery scheduled in July to get my ribs fixed. It will be a very serious and extensive surgery, and I might not be able to ride for 6+ months afterwards so that my cartridge is able to heal, but if half a year, or a full off of riding means I will be able to live a pain-free life.. so be it! I'm just thankful I was able to be diagnose, have surgery and have a support team. It's a nightmare but I can get through this- I'm equestrian tough!

Not my experience but still story worthy I believe- my college professor who taught me how to ride always told me "NO TREATS!!" I always wondered why he was so adamant about this until he told me a past student of his had a peppermint in her breast pocket for her horse, the horse got impatient, reached right over and BIT her nipple off! Luckily the horse spit it out and she got it reattached at the hospital. I wish I was kidding. Holy moly! A few years later another one of his students, a boy, had baby carrots in his rear pocket, and when he bent over to pick up a lariat, his horse bit him bad right on his booty! It was severe and he had to get off the rodeo team. Sad situation... so now I believe in "NO TREATS!"

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.