The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone has a favorite(past or present), what's yours?:wink:
Mine would have to have been first an Arabian, then I fell in love with Appaloosas, and now I would have to say Haflingers! I love those golden cutie pies!

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I loved little paint minis and ponies as a kid =) Can't really pick out a favorite breed nowadays, any horse that is small and bay is a win for me though:lol:

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
When i was younger i was obsessed with Thoroughbreds! Especially racehorses :D
Up until about a year or so ago they were still my favorite breed though the Norwegian Fjord has officially stolen first place lol

·
Registered
276 Posts
When I was younger I loved all horses, but had a special spot for arabians thanks to the TV series "the Black Stallion" and I really loved paints. Now I like heavier horses-particularly Gypsy Vanners (oh, that mane and tail, the feathering, attitude, and the bold paint colour of many of them!), I like Fjords, Fresians, Drafts, an bull-dog built quarterhorses (the ones that are meant to work-not the halter horses with their tiny-feet, small-heads, and posty legs. I am a sucker for black paints, grulla colouring, and buckskins. I could see myslef with (and I am sorry if I offend anyone) a dainty refined breed, or a gaited horse.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My favorite is Belgians! I grew up with them, and even though my dad tried to get me a pony or riding horse, Belgians were always my favorite and the pony never lasted long. I've been driving single and team since I was 4 and raised and trained my own Belgian when I was 16. He now is used for farmwork, hayrides, parades, etc., and is a very good boy. I have Sam, who is a 10 month old stud colt (he'll be gelded as soon as he drops). I've had him since the day he was born and he's going to be with me til the day he dies. I just love how big, powerful and beautiful they are. Although some of them are "gentle giants", I love how some of them have spirit and spunk.

I'm also in love with Brabants, the origional belgian from Belgium and plan on having two fillies and a colt imported within the next couple years and am helping to create a registery and breed standard for the American Brabant Association because currently all Brabants have to be registered as Belgians.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
I have a funny story about that actually!
The first horse I ever rode was an Arabian so obviously I automatically fell in love with them. I started reading all sorts of horse books and I was certain that my absolute dream breed/color/gender of horse was a flea-bitten gray Arabian mare.
Then I moved on to loving draft horses and wanting one desperately, but Arabs were still number three, or so, on my "favorites" list.
Eventually I gave up on the whole dream breeds of horse thing because I realized that a great horse could be anything, but I still liked Arabs.

Then, a few years ago my trainer, at the time, decided that she was going to help me get a horse and she knew a woman with two Arabs that needed new homes. She knew that I liked horses with a bit more "fire" so she figured that I could at least look at them and see if I connected with one.
Well, one of them really struck me and I took her home a few days later.
Then, last year, after owning this mare for 2 years, I realized that she is literally my dream horse! She's a flea-bitten gray Arabian mare and I had totally forgotten that dream when I got this mare. It was basically God, fate, what have you, that gave me the horse I dreamed of vividly for YEARS when I was little.
She is totally my perfect match so I must have been on to something as a little one! Lol!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a funny story about that actually!
The first horse I ever rode was an Arabian so obviously I automatically fell in love with them. I started reading all sorts of horse books and I was certain that my absolute dream breed/color/gender of horse was a flea-bitten gray Arabian mare.
Then I moved on to loving draft horses and wanting one desperately, but Arabs were still number three, or so, on my "favorites" list.
Eventually I gave up on the whole dream breeds of horse thing because I realized that a great horse could be anything, but I still liked Arabs.

Then, a few years ago my trainer, at the time, decided that she was going to help me get a horse and she knew a woman with two Arabs that needed new homes. She knew that I liked horses with a bit more "fire" so she figured that I could at least look at them and see if I connected with one.
Well, one of them really struck me and I took her home a few days later.
Then, last year, after owning this mare for 2 years, I realized that she is literally my dream horse! She's a flea-bitten gray Arabian mare and I had totally forgotten that dream when I got this mare. It was basically God, fate, what have you, that gave me the horse I dreamed of vividly for YEARS when I was little.
She is totally my perfect match so I must have been on to something as a little one! Lol!
Thats really heart-warming:D, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Clydesdales,,, i loveeee big horses and i just loved how gentle and beautiful they looked!!!!!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
As a kid I read every black stallion book there was. So of course my 1st dream horse was a black arab. I also loved reading about Man O' War & Secretariat. I think that is why I love red horses. Our family's 1st horse was a quarter horse, and I fell in love with the breed. My dream horse now would be a big sorrel quarterhorse gelding. Neither horse I own fits that description, but a girl can dream.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Arabians(Thanks to The Black Stallion Series.) & Mustangs(they aren't really a breed, more like a mix of breeds.lol) and Kigers(Thanks to Spirit:Stallion of the Cimmaron.)

These breeds are still my fave.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Arabian.

Arabian Horses
originates from Arabian Peninsula,are considered best among all horse breeds.This horse is more powerful,have more resistance and more strength to run faster than others.We may say it is Natural.I have my all pet horse from Arabian breeds.

·
Registered
448 Posts
When I was little My dream horse/pony was a Haflinger. I remember dreaming at night about me haveing one, and not to long after I got my childhood dream horse/pony a haflinger named Dolly<3
Now my dream horse is a Friesian, Maybe one day Ill get one :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
My childhood dream was any palomino horse. I LOVED them and still do. My dream breed was an Andalusian though for obvious reasons lol. I always wanted to ride Haute Ecole

·
Registered
924 Posts
Of my earliest memories I was totally in love with any and all breeds and even Grades. To this day I still love them all. I also read every one of Walter Farley's "Black Stallion" books. Oh and there was also "Flicka" by Maureen O'Hara.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Growing up it wasn't so much a breed preference, but i always wanted the dapple grey that Clint Eastwood rode in Pale Rider, so i guess it would have been Appy's

Everyone should own a haflinger those little horses (they are NOT ponies) are the neatest and nicest little horses i've seen

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Arabians and TBs. I loved watching the races as a kid. The first horse I ever fell in love with was a grey arabian gelding. I was 12 and that became my dream horse. Specifically, I love the dark and rose greys. Then, last year I met a man who breeds Egyptians (he's friends with a woman at my barn) and he offered this colt to another woman at the barn (this was at a horse show). This woman told me about it jokingly because she had no interest in this horse. I asked what color and she said grey. I think I was instantly in love with a horse I'd never seen. He was not even 2, a stud colt, relatively unhandled, and had spent almost his entire life in a pasture. He didn't even have a permanent stall. He shared with another stud colt when they came in at night. I told the breeder's friend that I would be very interested in looking at him. She arranged it, I looked at him 2 weeks later, and he was at my barn on my daughter's birthday 3 days later. Definitely a dream come true for me. He's been an amazing horse and has made a complete 180 from when he first arrived as a wild, unkempt tangled mess. He even had matts on his belly from shedding out, but not getting it brushed off. He's my baby now.

·
Super Moderator
26,533 Posts
My favorite is and always will be the American Quarter Horse. BUT... I have this drawing that I did back when I was in middle school and on the back I wrote "My favorite horse will be a pure black thouroughbred arabian stallion named Fury" Now, I'm assuming that I thought thoroughbred meant pure bred....

You know what the funny thing is? Riley's father is a black QH named Fury!

LOL...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts