The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,061 Posts
Ys - the average rider is taller than their horses withers. I'm 5'3 and I can see over Cloud and Beauty's withers. Riley and Sierras are above my head.

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I'm 5'9 and ride anything from 14.2 to 16hh (5' 4), my last horse was 15.3hh.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm 5.6 and was riding a pony that was about 14.2 hands a few months ago. My horse is about 16.1.

I actually like a smaller horse. Just need to lose some of the pounds I have picked up since this covid thing.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I'm not the average rider LOL. I'm 4'11. The now-retired paint horse is 14.2hh so the tip of my head is taller than his wither but I can't see over his back very well. The QH I am currently riding is 15.1 and I can't even dream of looking over his back. I keep swearing to my husband I'm going to buy a 14hh or shorter pony next...I rode a friend's 13.2hh pony and actually looked normal on him. It was great.

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
5'4" (on a tall day): my horses were 15 hands (Arabian) 15.1 (Percheron) 14.3 (Haflinger). Non-riding rescue horses were 13.3 and too tiny to measure... A 5'10" friend has horses all 15 hands or shorter.

·
Registered
856 Posts
5’6” (and 1/2”)

my first horse, when I was still a growing kid and not at my full height was 15.3. Always thought my next one would be an 18 hand warmblood, but nope. Got a 14.3 mare and a 14.1 Haflinger (who lacks withers so he’s probably actually be closer to 14.2 if he had them and he’s built like a brick outhouse). I did ride a friend’s 15.2 gelding a while back and he’s much finer built so I felt like my legs were too long on hi. probably wouldn’t go over 15 hands these days. I like my horses like I like my teapots. Short and stout.

·
Super Moderator
13,047 Posts
5.10 and my Paint is 15.2 so I easily see over her back but my draft mare is 18.2 so I am staring at her shoulder.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am 6'3" and my QH is 15.2

·
Banned
904 Posts
5”2 Jake is 16hh, Daisy is 14.1 and Red is unmeasured around 13 hh

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’m 5’2” and my colt will probably finish out 14.3 at the most. In my discipline I mostly ride in the 14 hand range and there’s even one boy I’ve been riding who’s 13.3. I like them short lol but my bf is 5’5” and likes the 17+ ones

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm not the average rider LOL. I'm 4'11. The now-retired paint horse is 14.2hh so the tip of my head is taller than his wither but I can't see over his back very well. The QH I am currently riding is 15.1 and I can't even dream of looking over his back. I keep swearing to my husband I'm going to buy a 14hh or shorter pony next...I rode a friend's 13.2hh pony and actually looked normal on him. It was great.
If you have any interest in Icelandics, which are on the smaller equine scale, I can help you out.

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
I am 5’2”. My two remaining horses are 15.3H and 16.1H. I can’t see over much of anything, unless I have shoes on with some heel to them; even then I can barely see over the 16.1H fella:p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts