The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On July 30, Moonshine was in so much pain that she could barely manuever herself to lie down.

On July 31, she was much much better. We were giving her bute. She was still lame, but not three-legged lame. The past few days, she's been the same or a little better each day. She had been getting bute every morning. This morning she didn't get bute and she's just barely lame, and she's putting weight on that foot now. My daughter got her to pick up all four feet for picking for the first time in weeks.

My main vet is out of town for two weeks. The vet I'm consulting with at A&M needs imaging before she'll say any more, and the person who the vet's office is sending out today to do the imaging, I think she's just a vet tech not a vet (we'll find out). So I don't have a professional to ask right now.

My question is, can I start hoping yet? Our hope is that she would just be pasture sound and not have to be PTS immediately or confined to a stall indefinitely. Maybe that Noltrex worked? The vet did say that if it was going to help it would probably do so within a week, and she started feeling better after five days. (Her problem is that her stifle is extremely degenerated and extruded, and there is really nothing there that can be fixed any more.)

I don't want to get my hopes up needlessly, but she's been slightly better every day since Sunday. Is she maybe going to make it, at least this time? I know her long-term prognosis is not good, but maybe she will be OK for now?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@gottatrot we had the PRP therapy done and it didn't seem to help anything, unfortunately. Although, who knows, maybe it's playing into her feeling a bit better now.

It turns out it was a vet who came out, and she said that for our goal of having Moonshine be pasture sound, we can be cautiously optimistic. She said let's keep her the way she is, in the stall/paddock, on bute, and then have her regular vet look at her again when he's back in town in two weeks.

ETA: I'm sorry to be posting so many different threads on Moonshine right now. It's just been a real rollercoaster over here, one day looking at body disposal services and the next day thinking that she might make it back out to the pasture.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How old is she?
Maybe 18 or 19 or 20. So she's not young but not really OLD either.

I think, at least we have a bit of a respite now. Maybe we can put her back out in the pasture in a month, and maybe she'll hurt herself again and that will be it, but at least then we wouldn't be shocked like we were this time. It seemed like it just came out of the blue this time. Winning a (casual) show to being a candidate for euthanasia within two weeks. Sure she had been lame one or two days a couple weeks before that, but horses turn up lame all the time and it ends up just fine.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At her age, while not ancient, her recuperative powers are not nearly as good as they were at 8-10-12 years old. She's at the age now where if she blows a knee (stifle) it's not likely to make a real good recovery at her age. So like I said, cautious optimism.
That's a really good point. It's hard to think of her as old because prior to this she was a really nice mover, body looked good, very alert and engaged with everything. But yeah, she's old. I just have to admit it. And the next time she hurts herself may be the last time she hurts herself, and we realize that now.

@walkinthewalk I get what you are saying. I'm not sure if we could do that or how much Moonshine would like it. She likes to pin her ears at her pasture buddies but she does stick with them and I think she secretly likes them, even Pony. I said in another thread (I think in my journal) that my daughter and I have agreed to choose her quality of life over quantity of life. I think she'd rather be out there with them than by herself. And if that means she's going to re-injure herself, catastrophically, and that's it for her, well at least she was happy.

I did spend some time thinking about how a smaller pasture could be carved out of the pasture where she is now. I will probably keep thinking about it. I'm just not sure she'd really be happy like that.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bute is not a good long term solution and if the lameness is still minimal when your regular vet comes back I would ask about Equioxx. My fingers have been crossed for you.
Yes, absolutely. I'm going to have that conversation with him when he comes out next.

Reactions: gottatrot

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I will ask the vet. I got the impression that OPSHPOS was for bones, not joints, but maybe I'm wrong.

We looked into adequan once and then decided against it for some reason. Maybe because I didn't want to have to do injections myself? I'll ask about that also.

Reactions: gottatrot
1 - 7 of 7 Posts