The Horse Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I will ask the vet. I got the impression that OPSHPOS was for bones, not joints, but maybe I'm wrong.

We looked into adequan once and then decided against it for some reason. Maybe because I didn't want to have to do injections myself? I'll ask about that also.

Reactions: gottatrot

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
The injections were pretty easy once I got the hang of it. I think now you could probably have an auto ship of one per month. I was doing them three doses per shipment. because at the time it was either 3 doses and 6 doses that I had to buy together. It was expensive but it did work...

Reactions: ACinATX

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
I will ask the vet. I got the impression that OPSHPOS was for bones, not joints, but maybe I'm wrong.

We looked into adequan once and then decided against it for some reason. Maybe because I didn't want to have to do injections myself? I'll ask about that also.
Correct. From your other threads, I do not think Osphos would be an option for Moonshine, nor would provide any benefit. It's best intention is for navicular horses with bony changes, but it can also be used for other bone things, such as fusing hocks, fractures, etc.

Adequan is easily given in the muscle. Super simple. However, Adequan probably wouldn't help for the specific stifle injury, as it's intention is more to preserve what's left in the joint. So not that it wouldn't be a good thing to give, as it could be helpful for other "aches and pains".
My horse Red has personally had a much better response to Pentosan, which is a cheap off-label version comparable to Adequan. So if it's not in the budget for Adequan, you could ask your vet about pentosan.

When exactly did she have the PRP?
PRP takes time too. As someone else said, you unfortunately have to be patient and wait and see.
If the PRP does not work, and Moonshine is still doing okay, you could ask about RenoVo.

I know you are also doing the light therapy.
PEMF would be a great thing to add. Good for controlling inflammation, and cell healing. (My horses have been doing just amazing since I got my own PEMF system.)

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
That was about three or four weeks ago now.
I'm under the understanding that PRP takes about 30-60 days for more minor tendon/ligament injuries to begin healing. For the severity of Moonshine's, I would suspect it would take much longer and need repeated PRP injections.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts