The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I was wondering when you got your first horse! Did you buy it yourself? Was it a Christmas pony? I always dreamed of one of those! Let me know, I would love to hear your stories.

Ps. Money making schemes are welcome. Haha.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My first horse actually was a Christmas pony. Complete with me having absolutely no idea I would be getting him until I saw him. And now my second horse is also a Christmas pony too except this time around it's a gift from me to me. I got my first one sometime around high school but I'm 24 now. (Okay, I didn't get them exactly on Christmas but close enough to count). Neither of them are really anything super wow fancy but I'm not chasing after any blue ribbons any time soon so that's not important.

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
I was raised with horses but still had to work to pay for my own, if I didn’t want it sold:). I was four when my parents had me gathering, washing, and candling eggs for sale.

As I got older, I drove the tractor, ran equipment and put up hay. The best part of haying was grandad letting me hook up four of the ponies to the old hay wagon and bringing the last load in with the team.

By the time I was 12 (in 1959) I had saved a whopping $300. My grandfather found a grade part Saddlebred mare for $350. $350 is equal to $3,130 in today’s world.

I was afraid I wouldn’t get the horse because I was $50 short but my parents added the $50 while laying down the law about feeding and caring for the horse. The only time mom would do,chores for me were if after school activities got me home too late, or I was too sick to go to school, and she meant business, lol

Nobody could have predicted that I would stay with horses virtually non-stop my entire life. My last two horses are now 25 & 26 and the Sears-Roebuck saddle, bridle, and martingale mom bought me in 1959 are under wraps in the attic:)

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first horse actually was a Christmas pony. Complete with me having absolutely no idea I would be getting him until I saw him. And now my second horse is also a Christmas pony too except this time around it's a gift from me to me. I got my first one sometime around high school but I'm 24 now. (Okay, I didn't get them exactly on Christmas but close enough to count). Neither of them are really anything super wow fancy but I'm not chasing after any blue ribbons any time soon so that's not important.
I was raised with horses but still had to work to pay for my own, if I didn’t want it sold:). I was four when my parents had me gathering, washing, and candling eggs for sale.

As I got older, I drove the tractor, ran equipment and put up hay. The best part of haying was grandad letting me hook up four of the ponies to the old hay wagon and bringing the last load in with the team.

By the time I was 12 (in 1959) I had saved a whopping $300. My grandfather found a grade part Saddlebred mare for $350. $350 is equal to $3,130 in today’s world.

I was afraid I wouldn’t get the horse because I was $50 short but my parents added the $50 while laying down the law about feeding and caring for the horse. The only time mom would do,chores for me were if after school activities got me home too late, or I was too sick to go to school, and she meant business, lol

Nobody could have predicted that I would stay with horses virtually non-stop my entire life. My last two horses are now 25 & 26 and the Sears-Roebuck saddle, bridle, and martingale mom bought me in 1959 are under wraps in the attic:)

What lovely stories! I currently have $300 saved which will barely get me a project these days! I won’t give up though. One day it’ll all pay off.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Hi all. I was wondering when you got your first horse! Did you buy it yourself? Was it a Christmas pony? I always dreamed of one of those! Let me know, I would love to hear your stories.

Ps. Money making schemes are welcome. Haha.
I got my first pony as a trade for my old motorbike plus $400 when I was 7 years old. He’s was still a stallion and not handled but my dad and I worked together to make him into a sweet little pony. My next few ponies my parents bought for $100 each because they were rescues from a man who was too sick to look after his stud herd. After that when I got my first horse we traded one of the ponies for him and the rest of my horses were mainly my parents money but partially mine

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My first set of riding lessons was an xmas gift, back when I was a kid
But my first horse I got for myself in 2011. Bought a farm, had to get a horse. Lol
I got my first pony as a trade for my old motorbike plus $400 when I was 7 years old. He’s was still a stallion and not handled but my dad and I worked together to make him into a sweet little pony. My next few ponies my parents bought for $100 each because they were rescues from a man who was too sick to look after his stud herd. After that when I got my first horse we traded one of the ponies for him and the rest of my horses were mainly my parents money but partially mine
I found a lovely project mare but alas, no projects allowed.

I just love reading these stories!

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Horse prices seem to be going up. Drastically. Even for the projects. It's part of why I bought mine now instead of waiting until they kept going up. Really sucks.

I hope you get to get your own horse sometime or perhaps find a lease?

I can’t lease...I get too attached. Plus I hate switching horses, I want a partner for life.

The project I found was $400 negotiable, so really good actually. The person was just overhorsed.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
When I was 15 my maternal grandparents gave each of us grandkids 100 bucks. I spent $85.00 of it on a pony. Every expense had to come out of my pocket but horse keeping in those days seemed much simpler than they are today. Sold her 2 years later when I getting ready to graduate and wasn't in a position to own again until I was 24. Wasn't even in a position then but the friend's AQHA mare I rode and adored kicked his wife and she said "either the mare goes or I go". Wasn't the first time her and Star had tangled so it was either buy her or he was taking her to an auction. Paid $500.00 for her and I had a lot of help from friends to get into position fast. Mainly a place to rent that had enough land I could keep her there. Wouldn't have been able to afford boarding her anywhere. Haven't been without a horse since.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I took lessons from pretty much second grade through fourth grade, then transitioned into 4H with my own horse, then transitioned into group and private lessons using my own horse.

My parents bought me my first horse when I was in fourth grade - and I learned how to be effective doing groundwork with her - but she was just too green (and explosive!) undersaddle. My stepdad got on her once and she bronco-bucked him off, and then she was sold.

My second horse (and first heart horse) was bought by my parents between fourth and fifth grade, and I still have him today (going 13 years strong!). He was very green, and didn't know how to canter undersaddle when we got him, but he never gave me, a beginner, too much to handle.

I recently (well, two years ago) bought my first horse using the money I earned from training horses for others. She came from a rescue, and was virtually unhandled and very explosive on the ground. Now, she is saddlebroke and we are working towards competing.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I got my first horse for my 12th birthday. She cost $50 and was one of the best horses who ever stepped on the ground. She took such good care of me. I had the money to pay for her, but my parents did because $50 wasn't expensive. Board was $15 a month and also quite affordable. I had gotten badly hurt on a horse I had no business riding and had lost my nerve. I tried probably 20 horses before I got my first horse. The minute I put my leg over her, I knew she was the one. She had an "oops" colt that I trained. I've had a horse ever since.

I got my daughter her first horse for her 3rd birthday. She had been riding since she was 9 months old, so she was pretty confident. Her first horse was also an amazing fellow whose nickname became "The World's Greatest Pony."

My son took over his dad's horse at age 4. My husband got too crippled up with arthritis to ride anymore and we were going to sell his horse. My son begged us not to sell him, that he would ride him. I told him he'd have to ride the horse every week for 6 months before I'd consider keeping a horse for him. I wrote on the calendar each time he rode. He got along so well with that horse, he was riding him 2 or 3 times a week. The horse was super hot, but my husband had no trouble with him and neither did my son. He was gentle but exciting for them.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I got mine first owned-by-me horse at 25. I got him from a breeder who didn't want to use him for breeding or halter and wanted the horse to go to a good, loving home. That was 10 years ago. I don't really consider a horse mine unless I acquire it myself, or it's gifted to me, and I pay all of its bills. Like at 11, a horse wasn't really mine since I couldn't afford to support it solely on my own, but it was mine in a generic sense. I'm sure others feel differently about it.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I had lessons starting at about 11, and leased a mare from 12 or 13 to 19, but I bought my first horse after I had saved up at my first job out of college, at age 25. It was always so hard growing up and seeing all of my peers at my barn and at pony club riding horses that they (their parents) owned, and wondering when it would be my turn, but I think it was worth the wait, and while I was lessoning and leasing I had many opportunities to ride a wide variety of other horses which I feel was helpful in growing as a young horsewoman. That said, I am so happy having my guy now and we've been together long enough that we know eachother very well and have excellent communication to the point where I can almost just think what I want him to do and he knows.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I started taking riding lessons at the age of 53 at a small family run barn. The lesson horse was a twenty something Standardbred who was very sweet and willing. She helped me grow my confidence even when I didn’t know what I didn’t know! When the family sold the farm, they let me keep the horse. Had her ‘till she was 34. Since then, I have purchased two horses; a MorganxQH and a TWH, both mares. I have never looked back! LOL I still ride and am currently training my little Morgan to pull a cart. Don’t worry, I do have a coach. When I can no longer ride, perhaps I can go for a carriage ride instead!❤🐴

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
When I bought my first horse and when I got my first horse are two different events.

My first two horses were gifts. I had begged for horses every Christmas while I was growing up. Never happened.

My first horse was a 4 yo Arab gelding; green broke. He was given to me as a gift after he bucked me off and sent me to the ER (I was in my 30's I think). I got a slight concussion and got 8 stiches above my eye. After he was given to me, I told my friend he needed to get someone out to put some miles on him. He did. A really nice young man who was amazing with horses. We ended doing pretty well together, mainly organized trail rides and regular trail rides with friends. A few years after that, my friend gave me my 2nd horse, a yearling 1/2 Arab mare. She was the best. We did A LOT together - from trail riding to cowboy races to ranch versatility shows & cow horse shows - and had so much fun.

It was a good 14 years after I got my 1/2 Arab mare when I finally bought my first horse. In between I improved on my horsemanship and started competing. So I was 52 (oy! Doesn't seem like I was THAT old!) I bought my 2 yo Quarter Horse mare from a friend. It was basically a whim decision which was one of the best decisions I ever made.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am different than most of the people who already posted. I started lessons at 60 and bought my first horse (a sweet 17 YO Arabian gelding) a year later. Now at 63 I have bought a 4YO Arabian Friesian cross. My trainer is working with her as she came to me unbacked (I fell in love with a video on Facebook). She is a sweet mare and I can't wait until I can ride her.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Come to think of it I have never paid money for a horse. My first horse when I was 11, my parents bought him for me for about $75 with all his tack. That would have been 1967. He was very old and soon died of old age. By then my parents were moderately well-to-do, and bought inexpensive grade horses for us kids; the last one was a 2 year old filly from my neighbors (who helped me train her), when I was 15. All the horses were sold when we went away to college. My next horse was 40 years later, my friend gave her to me (also an unbroken filly), and the companion pony who accompanied her on the trek from California to Massachusetts was a giveaway as well.

Lots of free or virtually so horses out there. It's not the upfront costs that get you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts