The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a chart or a list which says at about what age every pair of permanent teeth come out?

My horse is being a little monster and I am hoping it is his 'new' permanent teeth hurting him and nothing worse than that. He's three years and nine months and was quite wild and scary about two or three months ago when he had permanent teeth coming out. The equine dental technician confirmed it when he came out for his float at about the same time and said that he is at an age where he will be getting quite a few new pairs of permanent teeth over a year or so. According to him some horses are fine when the new teeth come out and others are not that fine. Seems I have one that's not that fine when it comes to teething. :/

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Verona, I didn't really think of Wiki. ;) So from this he should be getting his second incisor, fourth premolar and third molar 'sets' (top and bottom) all before he turns four in November. I assume he already has one of those 'sets', so two more to go. Aaaargh! Do the top and bottom ones come out at the same time or can they be slightly apart too? The previous ones came out basically at the same time (we could see the eruption bumps on both his upper and lower jaw, poor thing).

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
I haven't noticed a mood change per say, but my 3 yr old has been chewing anything he can get in his mouth for what seems like his whole life! I decided it was his teeth when he lost his two front incisors and suddenly he quit chewing for a while.

Now he's just turned 3 and he not longer chews on ropes and reins and such with his incisors, now he's focused on getting things back to his molars and chewing there. I know he's lost at least a couple molars already because I found one in his pen and another in the manure pile. So he must have swallowed that one. :lol:

I look forward to all his teeth coming in and hopefully the chewing will stop. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.