The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious at what point in training (30 days, 60 days, etc) you guys start to ask a horse for collection, side passing, etc and how you go about it on a horse who doesn't know how to and such. I have taught it, but to a horse who was well broke. Now I have my first green horse, and I am curious what to teach in what steps. Thank you all.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
When a horse is guiding well and has sufficient impulsion and forward motion to start 'gathering' that impulsion up, it is ready to start very light collection. That first collection can consist of just asking the horse to accept a little bit of pressure causing it to slightly tuck its chin and elevate its shoulders while learning to engage its hind quarters. When a horse is 'gathered up' this way and then periodically let relax on a long rein, it soon learns the difference and is ready to start working more seriously on a contact.

Lateral movement can be started before that. I always start with leg yielding exercises and movements using lateral aids -- using a dominant rein and a dominant leg on the same side. The diagonal aids are much more advanced and I usually wait until I have some degree of collection before introducing them.

It is all a gradual process with each session asking for a little more engagement.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
It ALL depends on the horse. Some have natural balance, strength in the hindquarter, and are conformationally able to handle it. Some take baby steps and conditioning first.

Nancy

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
Collection comes in degrees. I ask for some form of it the very first ride, always lateral give, to begin with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.