The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, I admit it is a stupid sounding question, but it's been bugging me:) When does a "horse that can jump" qualify as a genuine "jumper"? What is the skill/training level?
I apologize if it's a stupid question...and thanks for replies!

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
I would qualify any horse as a jumper that has competed (and completed the round) at any sanctioned (recognized by the country) event.

They do not have to have won but should have completed the course.

·
Banned
593 Posts
i disagree. theres a lot of people who pleasure jump and use the same training as those who show. i classify a jumper, as a horse who can jump a course clean and correctly with clean lead changes and a adjustable stride. Wether shown or not.

Like me for instance, ive got a whole acre i have a huge jump course set up on that i use.. i dont show. My big mare who jumps 5 ft is ALSMOST able to be classified as a 'jumper' as her lead issue is still prevelent ( not for training issue, shes got a old bow that dosent allow that lead 90% of the time b/c it bothers her on turns) and she still needs work on her stride changing but its comming along. my other mares started over xrails b/c shes still finishing the basics of w/t/c and lengthening/shortening strides. i put her over xrails to 'pick her feet up' and ofcourse caveletties. everyones opinion is different but i dont think its fair that you have to have shown to be classified that way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hunter - A horse who has good form, a slow pace, and well-mannered. In a hunter class it is judged on style, smoothness, and is an easier course.
Equitation - A horse who is handy, and preferably stylish. This class, however, is judged on the rider and how well they execute the course. Usually a bit harder course than a Hunter round
Jumpers - A jumper is a horse who has speed, very handy, usually higher energy. The course is judged strictly on speed and faults.

Now, a horse who jumps isnt to be called anything. Its just how experienced it is. A horse is just starting would be considered green over fences, a horse who is very experienced you would just say the height they are coursing. So it would be a good 3' horse, or a good 2' horse.

But..thats if you want to get technical.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.