Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a genuine question..

I live in Australia, currently the whole bottom half of Australia is on high fire alert. Many many homes have already been lost & hundreds of fires are breaking out daily.
We've had 3 days of 40*c + & we have 2 more days of it still to come. In the state I live in we have 300 fires so far, we reached 45.1*c yesterday, 43*c so far today & 46*c forecast for tomorrow, & the other states are in the same boat.

While all this is happening, I saw a thread on an Aussie horse forum about rugging in this weather. To my shock about half of the people that replied are rugging/veil & there was over 50 responses. One lady said it was 50*c in the Perth hills where they were evacuating horses & she said it was utterly stupid how many horses had rugs on.

I don't rug at all, I don't show & I don't have an oldie. I use equine fly spray for flies & other insects.

If they have shade & fresh water (maybe hose down & scrape?) what is the need for it?

Is this crazy or am I missing something?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
This is my pet peeve ATM I raced out ready to evac my horses yesterday im in victoria as we had an extreme danger warning. Thank god it got downgraded to watch and act.

I had friends who had mesh and cottons on because their horses burn easily or got eaten by bugs.

However if there is fire anywhere near those rugs need to come off. This was at an agistment place and they had people around to unrug but if there's is no one to pull them off then idnleave them off.

Also I think if there are plenty of trees around id leave them unrugged.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Surely they aren't putting rain sheets on? Or heaven forbid thicker rugs?

Are people putting fly sheets on?

Edit...... Ah, I understand now I have read the other reply. So people are fly sheeting despite the high fire risk? Ooh, what a scary situation to be in.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is my pet peeve ATM I raced out ready to evac my horses yesterday im in victoria as we had an extreme danger warning. Thank god it got downgraded to watch and act.

I had friends who had mesh and cottons on because their horses burn easily or got eaten by bugs.

However if there is fire anywhere near those rugs need to come off. This was at an agistment place and they had people around to unrug but if there's is no one to pull them off then idnleave them off.

Also I think if there are plenty of trees around id leave them unrugged.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah I just don't get it. I'd rather an irritated horse than a burnt one! Fly spray & zinc - just for now, then go back to your routine if you like. This is a real fire risk - anywhere at the moment.

They are putting on Fly mesh rugs & cottons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.