The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mare is young, and If you have seen my last thread, you will notice, that we have some issues to work through.

I'm wondering, It can't be good for them to ride in the freezing cold could it? I mean, imagine how you would feel if you were running around inhaling the freezing air?
I live in Western PA north of Pittsburgh, and I am finding that every time I have been at the barn this week, it is like 10 degrees FARENHEIT!!! When I lived in Germany, it never got anywhere near that cold. I just don't want to give my horse future respiratory issues.
How cold id too cold?

Also keep in mind that this mare has lived in Georgia all her life, where, as far as I know, it doesn't get that cold.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I ride mine, in -20C weather... snow on the ground lol. It doesn't hurt them they run in the pasture anyway. My only advice is don't get them sweaty unless u have some place to keep them or blanket them.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
10 degrees isnt to cold to ride wev riden when it was 0 degrees out. I wouldnt be working her to hard like alot of cantering or anything.

Where i am now its been below zero for going on 2 weeks never got above zero today. I wont ride in below zero thats getting to cold for me. If it warms up next week we might ride.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But are your horses used to the cold? she is still adjusting from the warmer climate in Georgia. Before she came here three months ago, she had never seen snow.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The only thing I've every really taken into consideration with regard to riding in the cold (even back when I lived someplace that really got "cold") was not working up a sweat (although I've had the breaking ice to roll in the ponds freezing water with the temperature in the 20's F).
I guess I might not ride when the temperature is so cold that if you spit it would freeze before it reached the ground or if I had to wait for something I said to thaw out before you could hear it :lol:.

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
But are your horses used to the cold? she is still adjusting from the warmer climate in Georgia. Before she came here three months ago, she had never seen snow.
Yeah my horses are used to cold they were all raised here in minnesota. 3 months should be enough time just take it easy to start with.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I think it really depends on what you and your horses are used to. In the winter I'll use stuff like Draper Therapies polos because they increase circulation in the legs and help my horse warm up faster and reduce risk of injuries. I put my anti-sweat sheet on before, and after to keep his muscles loose (the Draper one - love their stuff Draper Equine Therapy- Products) and make sure that he's warmed up and cooled out properly so it often takes a lot longer - well over an hour - to get a good 20 - 30 min actual workout in.

When I trail ride my Arab I use a warm saddle pad to keep his back warm and will often ride in a quarter sheet to keep his butt warm as well. We ride in snow and I try to keep all my guy barefoot in the winter to give their feet a rest and to give them better traction. I hate snow shoes bc my horses love the snow way too much and I worry that with too much traction they are more likely to injure themselves playing hard and stopping short as the cleats grab, and some of my horses are bare all the time. If anyone who is usually in shoes gets sore, I will put shoes back on them though to keep them comfy and just make sure they're behaving in turnout haha!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.