Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Just wondering what the consensus was on how you know when your youngster is ready for the curb? I realize of course this might differ from horse to horse and from different disciplines- many horses will never carry a curb bit!

But from the perspective of say, an all-around show horse getting ready for local shows in western pleasure or what have you, what signs would you require?

My baby boy Cloud has been ridden in a snaffle for a year and half now. It's really only been the last month that he has moved from being 'sticky' to really moving out off my leg and becoming engaged in his quarters- he yields them a little bit, but he's got a long way to go in that department. He neck reins, but I think that is mostly because he now respects the leg, and isn't necessarily taking cues from the rein. He has always been quiet, receptive and supple to snaffle.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Since he is neck reining and responding to your legs, I would say you could put a curb bit on him and see how he does. Remember, keep off that inside rein as much as possible us it only as a VERY LAST RESORTE. I am glad to hear that your horse is responding to your legs. His neck reining will get better over time, make sure you ask for a turn with neck reining then back it up with your legs. He will pick up neck reining really fast.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.