The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't been having lessons for super long, About 2-3 years. This is gonna be a long story. Ok so when I was little I lived with my grand parents. They had horses, it was where my obsession began. She had a full size horse named Candy, I learned to walk and kinda post on her (she was very well mannered and I was on a lead). I got to ride everyday for about 5 years then they the moved. So then after many many years I got to get lessons at my current barn! Ok back to the point now 馃ぃ. On my first lesson I walked and trotted.... 3 years later I was walking and trotting (1-2 lessons a week) after 2 years I got to canter on a lunge then I just didn't for a while. Now I canter on a lunge every lesson for about 7-10 minutes. (I ride english) When do you think I will get to do something new like anything?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also the horse I ride isnt really a school pony. Hes not bad but he just crow hops a few times a lesson. Now I know how to stop him so he only does one little buck before I can stop him.

Registered
I'm a person who believes that people should take things slowly, that students tent to want to rush through things when they aren't ready, and that instructors typically have good reasons for holding students back. But what you described is egregious. Unless there is something seriously wrong with your riding, you should have been catering off the lunge line well before now. Can you ask your instructor why she still has you doing this? Or, perhaps less confrontationally, ask her what she needs to see from you before she lets you canter off the lunge line?

Registered
Might not be you, might be the horse if it's crow hopping so frequently.

Like i have my own horse since april-ish and been riding lessons on 3 different horses since Oct 2019. Only mine has bucked once when his back was out and i didn't realize it until i asked for a canter. Even then it was baby bucks. And he hadn't done it since.

Registered
I was riding for two years before I started seriously cantering. My Pony was quite green and had a lot of issues around cantering. I had to ride the lesson pony a couple of times in that period, and I could canter a whole course of poles and low jumps on her, but I could still barely canter a full lap on Pony. So I agree it could be the horse. But if the lesson horse is so bad it can't be trusted to canter off the lunge line, I would be looking for a new place to ride.

Reactions: AbbySmith

Super Moderator
How quickly a rider advances depends on the rider and the facility. Some trainers are really careful and really slow to move forward for whatever reason yet some trainers move their kids forward way faster than they should.

Riders all learn at different paces. Some more athletic kids can be cantering and jumping within months of riding with only 1 lesson per week while other people may take a full year to move to the canter and some will never be balanced enough to jump. This is a question you would have to ask your instructor. We can give you our own experiences but it's hard to answer without ever having seen you ride.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hers a photo of my canter on a lunge from a few months ago, its not the best.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would be looking for a new place to ride
The place I ride at isnt a "lesson" barn its more of just a boarding barn. She only usually lets adults who have there own horses ride/take lessons there. For some reason she let me start riding there, I don't really know why. I think shes a good teacher, I know she's a good rider. I would love to try some where else but I live in the middle of no where and shes like the only place within 30 minutes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts