The Horse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m not impatient, but I am getting sort of tired of just trotting over poles and I wanna know when I’ll learn to canter . My instructor rarely gives me corrections only if my hands fall a little but that’s really it. Again not trying to rush it just wanna know what you guy’s opinions are.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You've not given much information about yourself, your level of experience or the style of riding so it'll be hard to advise you. Have you asked your instructor about your progress or a general riding/lesson plan? I didn't canter for a very very long time. However, I didn't have an instructor to assist or advise.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Hmmm. If you can ride a trot, you can ride a canter. Work on your transitions: walk-trot-walk-trot-walk, until you feel comfortable, then ask for a trot-canter transition. Just aim for a few strides of canter at first, then half-halt back down to a walk. "Walk-trot-canter-trot-walk."
You'll find that a canter is easier to ride than a trot by a long shot. The only issue may be in getting your noble steed to drop back to a walk; many horses like to run, and will put their tails in the air and take you for a fun ride into the next county if left to their own devices. That's why you want your down transitions to be pretty solid before up-shifting.
Ask your trainer; they should tell you pretty much the same story. If they aren't letting you canter, it's probably because your trot-walk transition isn't there yet.

Reactions: bsms

·
Registered
49,896 Posts
I hate to sound abrupt, but to answer your question,, "How would I know?" . We don't know what your lessons are like, or your instructor. She/He is the one to ask.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Here is another thread on this subject that might help you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I’m not impatient, but I am getting sort of tired of just trotting over poles and I wanna know when I’ll learn to canter . My instructor rarely gives me corrections only if my hands fall a little but that’s really it. Again not trying to rush it just wanna know what you guy’s opinions are.
I apologize I didn’t give much information about my riding , I have been riding for one year and I am an aspiring jumper, and I ride at a hunter jumper stable. Sorry if you don’t really care or if you feel this is a waste of time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I apologize I didn’t give much information about my riding , I have been riding for one year and I am an aspiring jumper, and I ride at a hunter jumper stable. Sorry if you don’t really care or if you feel this is a waste of time.
Hey! I don’t work at a Hunter jumper stable but rather a Saddleseat barn, and our typical policy is once we feel the student can sit up and keep themselves firmly in the back of the saddle, steer very well, has a good control of horses (though we use our best lesson horses to teach the canter) and we teach the sitting trot before the canter. We also expect students to know their diagonals and have good transitions. It will obviously be different for you, every barn is different and different disciplines do things different ways. Talk to your trainer as well! They can give you a better idea of what you need to work on than strangers on the internet. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you done sitting trot at all? Sitting trot is usually what is taught before cantering to learn how to sit and ride on your seat bones. Once you’re able to sit a trot without bouncing is when cantering should be taught. Not only sitting a trot, but also leaning back in the saddle and how to follow the horses movements during canter. I personally didn’t canter on purpose until my second year of riding and didn’t jump until my fourth year. Canter is about following the horses movements with your own body, your seat bones shouldn’t come off the saddle during it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts