The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I'm interested in this thread as well :) sorry I do not have an answer for you, but my OPINION would be after they excel in their training.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I would say it has more to with training. I have a friend who shows her WP horse in reining at some of the AQHA shows she goes to when the classes are small. LoL technically I wouldn't consider him a reiner just because he's competed in the class. I think a horse has to have a decent stop, lead change and pivot.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
To me a true reiner is one who can go and hold their own in a NRHA show.

Being able to just do the maneuvers dose not make a horse a reiner. There is so much more to it then that. Just like Dressage. I can get my reiners to do most of the maneuvers that in lower level dressage but that dose not make they dressage horses.

·
Registered
594 Posts
To me a true reiner is one who can go and hold their own in a NRHA show.

Being able to just do the maneuvers dose not make a horse a reiner. There is so much more to it then that. Just like Dressage. I can get my reiners to do most of the maneuvers that in lower level dressage but that dose not make they dressage horses.

THIS!

Java is a western pleasure horse through and through. He has been professionally trained in reining and has competed in reining. HOWEVER, he is not a reiner, he is a western pleasure horse. We sent him for training for the fun of it and because it helped him in his western riding patterns.

We don't keep sliders on him, either, and I think if a horse is an actual reining horse they will have sliding plates. Can you hop on and do a low level reining class and win? Sure. But he's also 16 hh and built like a WP horse.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
I would consider my horses reiners, while they spin with their pivot foot planted and stepping nicely, while they are stopping hard and rolling back smoothly. When the lead changes can be signalled with just your leg sliding back and a switching of the rein. When they can hold their own and are doing everything willingly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my opinion, when a horse is specifically being trained in one sport, in example, reining. If the horse is being trained for it, I consider it a reiner. I know a lot of people on here won't agree with that, but it's IMO.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
In my opinion, when a horse is specifically being trained in one sport, in example, reining. If the horse is being trained for it, I consider it a reiner. I know a lot of people on here won't agree with that, but it's IMO.

Boy I will have to tell Te is not now a reiner a roper and barrel horse and so many other types of horses.

Te has Green reiner points in NRHA. He has reining training however I would not call him a reiner.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My 3 year old is currently in training for Reining and will be shown in Reining this year and I would consider her a reiner once she has proven she can be competitive in that sport. Also she is bred to Rein which also helps in my opinion. However I originanly bought her to compete in Barrels which I will do next year. So basically if she excels enough in reining I would call her a reiner but next year once I start competing in Barrels I would call her a barrel horse. Though I will still show her in reining next year as well. To me reining is the ultimate. Once a horse can rein they can do anything. Which is why she is getting reining training versus sending her to someone to train for barrels.

Hopefully that wasn't too long-winded. :)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I would personally consider it a reiner if that is what you are training it for... it is unfortunate that you cannot describe it's level in the same way a dressage horse would be described, such as intro, training, 1st, FEI Prix St. George.....

Maybe you could look at it as what would you put on the sale ad? Rening prospect, reining champion, etc. I really think it is a matter of personal opinion and people will always find a way to get uppity about something in the horse world. Say it and say it with confidence :)

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
You can describe a reiner just like you can a dressage horse. As there are actually even more levels in reining then dressage if you want to get down to it.

However the reason that people do not do it that way is b/c even if a horse is an open level reiner dose not mean they would make a good lower level or non pro reiner.

Usually when you are marketing a horse as a reiner you give their score. B/C the scoring system is set and very well enforced a 72 reiner on the east cost should be a 72 reiner on the west cost and everywhere in between. The same should hold true if the horse is a rookie horse or an open horse. Although one would say that an open level rider would get a getter run out of the horse then a rookie the vast majority of the time.

Also what the horse can consistently mark and at what level will help set the horses value.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.