Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone:

As you may see from the attached picture I have a parade saddle restore project I'm working on. I don't see where I can find the small squarish metal garnishments. I believe they are nickle chromium plate.

Some are corroded and need replacement.

If someone can point me in the right direction I'd be most appreciative.

Thank You,
Gary

·
Registered
300 Posts
Try tack store.org (all one word).

They have tons of those small replacement parts. You might have to look a bunch but they may have ones that match. Another option is to contact someone who redoes saddles and ask them if they have spare parts they sell or if they can point you in the direction of where they go.

Do you know the brand of the saddle?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would try any tack stores (used tack stores, new tack stores, and whatnot), but if you can not find the pieces you are looking for, maybe go to a used tack store and if they have and old piece of tack that has similar pieces on it, you could buy that and take off the pieces. You could also try using square conchos that look like that.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Sometimes a small saddle shop (Individually owned sort of hole in the wall place) will have stuff like that. I don't make saddles, I just restore and clean them and resell used saddles, but I have a PILE of scavenged silver parts and old conchos, etc. Just nothing like that. BUT. I know other real deal saddle shops do hoard that stuff up too - because I've called them looking for pieces.

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I'm guessing they are the style with the prongs then folded over through the back.
I'd try Tandy Leather or other online leatherworking stores.

Back when hubby had his sewing machine and building headstalls he used to buy those nickel-plated, dots, diamonds pyramids, etc. by the bag full.
I don't think we have any of the flat diamond style but we have different sized dots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone

Try tack store.org (all one word).

They have tons of those small replacement parts. You might have to look a bunch but they may have ones that match. Another option is to contact someone who redoes saddles and ask them if they have spare parts they sell or if they can point you in the direction of where they go.

Do you know the brand of the saddle?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The saddle had a branding tag that I hopefully attached properly. The tag, I believe says RENEGADE on it. I know it's vintage and has a Ralide 1500 Wonder Tree.

I really don't care for a lot of bling anyway, so I am considering just removing them. Likely leave the conchos. The diamonds on the back of the saddle appear to be well made stainless so those are nice.

If you look at my other post you will see more pictures.

Thanks, Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I wouldn't exclude any large saddle makers or shops out of your area. Large horse population areas might be places to look.

Be sure and post photos of the finished product! : )

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,077 Posts
Could you swap the tarnished ones with brighter ones from a less visible part of the saddle?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.