The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a new event horse, as I a retiring my old boy. Where did you buy your event horse? I'm on a bit of a budget, and was looking for any tips on how to stay a bit lower on the price scale. Currently thinking an OTTB may be the best way to stay low while havng upper level ability, but any suggestions are much apprecated!

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
An OTTB is likely going to give you the most 'bang for the buck' if you choose one with the correct mind and build for it. Good legs are of utmost importance. One from a place that accurately represents each horse and it's potential ability is crucial unless you have a good eye and luck.

At everything but the elite levels, nearly any horse that is sound, careful, and brave can be successful. Quarter Horses, Morgans, Appaloosas, Fjords, etc. all event and do quite well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I breed my own prospects, but if I wanted one ready to start on a budget I would likely go with ottb. What is your idea of upper level - some pretty random crosses from random backgrounds have gone fairly far in eventing, but finding that diamond in the rough does take a good eye and the willingness to kiss a few frogs.

·
Administrator
36,137 Posts
I’d suggest an OTTB but it’s not easy to find a racing bred horse that will get you the best marks in the dressage phase at upper level.
We have a member that isn’t around so much now that found a beautifully ‘put together’ TB so they are out there

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
I bought my horse from a breeder as a 2 yr old and I brought her up and trained her as she grew up. That's what I will be doing with the next one as well. I didn't look for an eventing horse specifically in mind. I looked for a horse that had the built and temper I wanted and then went into the discipline that fit it best and it turned out to be eventing.

Reactions: RegalCharm
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.