The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am not quite ready to get another horse just yet, but I am starting to play with the idea. I know I want a young horse that I can break/bring along in partnership with my trainer. And yes, I have broken horses before and trained them, just never my own horse. It was always for a friend or client. I don't particularly care about breed. I just want to find a horse that has potential and that I mesh with very well. So my question is, where did you find your horse? Because honestly, I have no idea where to even start looking. Lol

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I bought my horse from his breeder, but how I found out about him and why he was available was purely chance.

My trainer was looking for someone to put some trail miles on one of her horses, and someone she knew recommended the breeder (who also trains). Knowing that I was looking for a horse, she asked if he had any horses that fit what I was looking for. He did, but only because my horse's previous owner had had to sell him back when she went through a divorce. The only other horses he had for sale were unstarted 2 and 3 year olds- not really what I was looking for!

I looked at A LOT of horses from online ads before going to see this horse. Maybe I would have eventually found another horse, maybe I'd still be looking ;-)

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I looked at lots of online ads and went to try several horses several hours away on a couple of occasions. For various reasons none of them worked out. After all of that effort I found my horse about 40 minutes away using the same online searches. Go figure!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Most my horses, I just either stumbled into ownership of them (had them given to me for one reason or another) or heard about them through word of mouth from friends.

Denny, Jesse, Bessie, Rafe, Taz, Nester, Diamond, Talyn were all free horses that were offered to me (Denny in lieu of training bill, the rest straight out of the blue).

Dobe, Koda, Jet, those were all horses that friends of friends had for "sale" to a good home that could do something with them. Of those 3, Koda was the only one that had been handled but he wasn't even halter broke. The most expensive was Jet, but he was a registered (and very well bred) APHA...and he still only cost $500 before the horse market crashed.

If you're just looking for a prospect, those can be found nearly anywhere. Listen to your local trading radio station, browse your local craigslist and horse-for-sale sites, check out the flyers at the local feed store and tack shop. Look around for any larger breeding farms that might have production sales once or twice a year.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The first one I adopted from the local shelter for $100, he had the basics down but was still green and I finished him out. Now he's a great horse and just the best guy ever to work with on the ground or in the saddle.

I just got a second horse that I'd had my eye on for 6 months or more. I'd ride past the trailer she was staked out at on a regular basis. She belonged to an older couple living on SSI. When I found out that they wanted to sell her, I snapped her up. When I feel she is well broke I will probably sell her on. If I'm lucky I MIGHT make a profit but even if I loose money I'll have had a good time, gotten more hands on training experience, and she'll have a chance at a better life.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Via the internet - there was an online version of an ad in the local rag where the horse was advertised. I'd trawled Gumtree and the various Australian horse sale websites for a month or so before I started looking in more obscure places as I really wasn't happy with the lack of value about (I mean, one horse was being offered for $5k, doing prelim dressage, caveat that he had a major rearing problem and persistent sweet itch!!). I leased him via Gumtree, which I found generated the most responses (although I had to trawl through some spam/dodgy responses).

If I ever go to buy another horse in the future, though, I'll probably get one off the track. Much better value for money - so long as they're sound and don't have any major vices like bucking and rearing. But hey, my horse was not 100% sound (minor bone spur in near fore coffin, showed up on x-ray) and has a major bucking issue, and I still paid $2500 for him! His gaits are to die for, though...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I posted an ad on Kijiji, and after it being up for just over a month I was losing hope of finding the right horse ( after things having not worked out two times before) I logged on to my email and saw that I had gotten a reply. A lady was selling her horses and wanted me to come try them out.
So I get there and see this short stocky cow horse, and then a giant slender-horse (who honestly scared me a little) and after trying them both I chose the giant slender-horse. Brought him home, fattened him up, and dubbed him Oliver. :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I found both my boys on good ol' craigslist.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
810 Posts
Drifter- From a woman I worked with.

Whiskey- Online. I had my eye on him starting in January and he kept sticking around so I finally went to go see him. The rest, is history :D

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
My first horse: was a giveaway from a friend that was a lot of fun to ride.

Second horse: I found an ad online for a beginners horse. He wasn't actually a good beginners horse but I still have him 4 years later and I have learned a lot from him.

Third horse: A friend of a friend found an ad online and told me about him. He is an amazing horse that a have had some awesome times with.

Forth Horse: Recently a friend was given two young unbroken horses and she thought one would suit me. I went out and had a look at him and well now he is mine. I think with more handling and once he is broken in he will be a brilliant horse.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I found both on an Irish ad site called donedeal.

I found Bandit when I didn't even want to buy a horse.... I was browsing when I saw his pic, fell in love with his face and went to see him that afternoon. He was a complete prat to deal with, but I knew that it would take nothing to bring him around - he ended up coming home that weekend.. accompanied by a mare and yearling!

I went to look at Nod, who was nothing like she appeared in her pics (which was well taken care of, good condition, healthy) but I looked beyond her current state and brought her home the next day. She has since turned a serious corner and worth her weight in gold.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My first horse from a friend of mine.
Second horse my friend tagged me on an add on facebook. didn't think I had the money but my parents told me to go have a look and we clicked so we negotiated.
third horse I didn't buy, only leasing atm but he was a friends horse I met through pony club

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
My current horse I bought from my friend, who got her from the sales. There are heaps of horses at sales, but it's certainly a risk.

Horse before that I put out a wanted ad online, and got a reply.

Horse before that I adopted through a Standardbred rehoming program.

Horse before that I found through an online ad (she was an unbroken 3 year old). This was a bit of an out of the way classifieds place, so it's worth looking around.

Horse before that I bought through an ad in the paper. It just said something like "Two clydesdale/tb fillies, rising two year olds" called them up and got my old mare, the bigger of the two. They bred heavy horses for a carriage business that did weddings and such, and they'd bought two half clydesdale mares who had TBx foals at foot. She was brilliant, vague ad, but good and I'm super glad I gave it a chance.

Horse before that also was from the paper, and he, and the other mare, was the best horses I ever had. Ad was also somewhat vague. "TB gelding, 16.1hh, D grade showjumper, 11 years old POA". Called, the price was reasonable and he was great.

First horse my mother put a wanted ad in the paper, for a kids horse, and they called with him.

I know online purchasing is easier, but I am still a fan of buying the local paper and looking through the classifieds! Often the ads are short, vague and without pictures but sellers are often serious and the owners a pretty decent type.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
All 4 of my horses came from good friends...all of them came out of Texas, the 2 QH were Angelo State University breeding program horses....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Dallas - I was looking around for my first horse, and was pretty specific about what I wanted and what the horse had to be capable of. So I was checking into horses I heard about by word of mouth, but I was also looking on the internet. I came across his ad and decided I would go and see him. He turned out to be exactly what I was looking for, and his correct owner did a great job with the training she put on him. He was only 4(younger than I hoped because I was still young), but he has such a great brain it worked out. We've had rough patches but he's turned out to be worth it.

Shaymus - I was looking for a companion horse for Dallas, and if possible a horse that my mom could ride. Although Dallas is a very good boy he was too green for my mom who hadn't ridden since she was a kid. The trainer I was at the time got Shaymus in on trial as a lesson horse, but he didn't work out for her lesson kids. I had no problem riding him and really liked him so I ended up buying him.

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
I bred and raised all mine myself...

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
My first pony when I was a kid I found through an ad in a local paper.

Several years later, when I was out on my own, there was a quarter horse breeder that was a customer at the bank I worked at. When he found out I liked to ride he invited me over (probably wouldn't have if he'd known then I was going to become their 6th kid, lol). Anyway, my next 3 horses I bought from them.

A couple from an auction - a specialized auction, not one of the once a month auction places.

Most of the other ones I've bought over the years have been from word of mouth.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the feedback! I've started looking at dreamhorse.com and a few other sites like it. I never thought to try craigs list though. I've also thought about getting another Thoroughbred, preferably unraced, but I have no idea where to start with that. I know a few breeders in the area, but pretty much all of them breed warmbloods that are way out of my price range.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.