The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where'd you get your horse? Did they live anywhere before that? How far back do you know about?
Before my barn bought Gonzo, he was at an Omish farm, where they treated him like a machine. If your car doesn't absolutely need gas, you don't go to a gas station, right? So they didn't feed him until he was starving, and barely fed him anything. You don't give your car a paint job if it you don't care about it that much, right? They didn't care about him, they didn't groom him. He'd never even seen fly spray.. and they totally beat him while riding him. He was one of the most skiddish ponies I'd ever met when I met him, and now he's still nervous. And it's not like he's young-he's 17. But he has such a good home now, and we all love him... especailly me. :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
well my dad bought patch my little piebald pony off the side of a mountain wen he was a yearling and only paid 50 pound sterling for him lol

·
Registered
702 Posts
I got my horse, Remington, at a barn in Lodi, NY. His name was Sam, but I changed it because at the barn where I take my lessons there's already 2 Sam's. I'm at least his 4th owner, and I have no idea who owned him before that.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
We got Norman from a podunk little town in Wisconsin that's impossible to find unless you Mapquest it. He was just an unbroken, backyard two-year-old, and we got him anyway because I was only 13 and didn't know any better. The only thing going through my mind was "He's so BIG and beautiful!" It was a big mistake at the time, but now he's a great riding horse, so it all worked out.

We got Vic from a barn that trains Thoroughbreds. I was told he was supposed to be an eventer, but he was lazy and didn't want to do it. He actually wasn't lazy, but extremely out of shape, so no wonder. He's much better now and I doubt his previous owners would recognize him.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Our barn bought Rainy (along with her mother and a ex-racer Throughbred) from people who stuck them in a field and didn't moniter how much food they got. Result? Super fat boss mare (Rainy) and super skinny bottom feeders. Then she came to the barn, worked with me on a monitered diet, and we bought her for my birthday! Yay! Lol, but yes. That's what I know at least.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
T came from a farm in North Carolina. She was strictly a halter horse. Was sold at an auction in Georgia and purchased by the woman I bought her from. To Maine came the little southern Belle. There she was saddle trained and put into the lesson horse program. Also turned into a brood mare (only had 3).

I purchased her and her last foal was tossed in for good measure (life time free lease) as he would not be able to be used for what he was bred for. Walka however has made a very good trail horse and is really stepping up to the plate now that T is going blind and becoming at the age 20, a pasture pet. :wink:

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
book time :) haha

Ginisee- Born February 21, 1992 in Texas. Her sire was Quick Style and her dam was Countess Lisa, both were registered TB's. Raced 13 times. Won once, placed once, and showed twice. She then stopped coming out of the starting gate so they sold her to another man in TX. He didn't find her attractive enough as a broodmare so he sold her to her former owner in Missouri. He then decided to get into the Arabian business and didn't want a Thoroughbred anymore and if she didn't sell she was going to be bred to a Fresian. We bought her when I was 10 and we've been together ever since, it's been about 7 years :)

Uma- Born in April 2002 in Texas. She was bred by a breeder that specialized in sporthorses, more specifically 3/4 TB 1/4 Shire. Her dam was a JC registered TB and her sire was an AWS registered 1/2 TB 1/2 Shire (she takes A LOT after him. almost identical but has a TB body). She was on the market for about two days before we spotted her and there was already a BUNCH of interest. We ended up trading my first horse, Sky (RIP) for Uma and Uma arrived when she was 10 months old in 2003. I have had her for 7 years and counting :)

Demi- Born in February 2003. Bred by a prominent racehorse breeder (who is recently deceased) in Kentucky. Her sire was Kiri's Clown (winner of the Sword Dancer stakes back in 1995 or 1996, now retired to Old Friends sanctuary) and her dam was Ransom Note. She was never raced or registered (but she is in the pedigreequery registry) as she is barely 15hh and her breeder really didn't see the point. As a two year old, she was given to her previous owner and at four started eventing. Evented successfully at Beginner Novice and schooled Novice with an experienced trainer. Previous owner didn't have time for her as she was riding two Prelim horses of her own so she came to me about a month and a half ago :)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Rain was bought from a livestock market when she was 6 months old by her second owner. A Paint breeder was going out of business and brought all his horses to this livestock market. They weren't skinny or not taken care of by any means. Actually they were the complete opposite haha.. She was out of two Registered Paints but since they knew they were going out of business they decided not to register her. The second owner gave $1500 for her as a 6 month old. He kept her and trained her for trail riding only until she was a 6 year old. He was diagnosed (sp?) with some disease (I forget, even though this is a family friend) and his wife decided she didn't want to take care of him so she divorced him, so he had to sale all his horses. He called my uncle and told him to come look at the two he had left. He bought them both (Rain and another black/white TWH) he only paid $750 for both and the TWH has papers. He brought Rain to my house for my brother to put some milage on before he sold her. As soon as she got off the trailer both me and my brother were in love lol He asked me which one of us was going to call and ask about buying her. I didn't have the money at the time so I told him he could. He bought her for $600 (She is WELL worth it plus more) He told me he would never sale her and if he did he would tell me first. Well him and his wife were having problems so another friend of ours came along and he sold her to him for $600.. I was p***ed off needless to say. So I called the guy he sold her to and asked if I could buy her back and he said he had her sold for $1200 (Yes he's a horse trader) but if I brought him $900 I could have her back. I was really mad at my brother by this time.. But I figured if I went over there and talked to him he would let me have her cheaper.. While we were over there the other person who wanted her for $1200 came pulling up in the drive way and I was like here's the $900.. LOL Close call. I almost didn't get her back. Exactally one week after I brought her home she had a filly. So I think of it as a two for one package lol

That's how I got rain. Oh and so you don't think she was tossed from home to home for long periods.. This all happend in the length of one month lol But I have had her for a year now and couldn't be happier I would pay another $900 if I had to hehe..

So I am her Sixth owner haha..

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Blue was born, then my trainer bought her and trained her and then she became my sweetheart!
Geoffery was born, trained and eventing in England before he was importated 3 years ago. His owner wasn't a good rider and scared the poor thing half to death, he was then sent to Buck Davdison, and then to Ruthie, who I bought him from.
Ariel always been a horse of ours. Born out of Air Hart, raced until she was 5, and now she's a brood mare at our barn.
Airess, Born 6 months ago at our farm
Cat And Jack were on the farm when we bought it and were donated to us thinking that our theriputic riding center would be up by now

·
Registered
573 Posts
I got Murray from a local woman who is super nice. I found him online on our local swap and shop website. First I emailed about him in April and had back and forth emails. First he was for sale, then no longer, then in late July, I got to see him. I am his 3rd or 4th owner. He was trained at Birds Hill in Manitoba, then a girl who had him a year, then to the woman who had him a year as well and now to me. Aside from that information, I know nothing more, but thinking I should get the numbers of the previous owners (for checks on him?).

He's my first horse, and so far he's super.

·
Registered
666 Posts
All of mine were sale barn horses. Sis and Jazz came along when we still had slaughter houses open in the US. I don't know where Jazz originated from she was a weanling when I got her. Sis came from a Ranch in TX. Justice was born on a Ranch in CO and ended up here as a weanling. I had told a friend of mine to keep an eye out for a registered paint foal and he seen him at the sale and got him for me. Misty I have no clue but what I do know is whomever owned her before was not kind or they never worked much with her she is incredibly headshy and tends to be aggressive if she feels cornered.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Painter- bought from an auction by a person in our barn, then a month or so later we bought him. He's 8, but that's all I know about him

Ben- OTTB who was just too slow (although he did win one) He was bought by a professional rider, who I bought him from 6 months later. The professional rider/trainer is friends with my BO/trainer, so it works out great. The previous owner still rides him a few times a month to tain him (he's 4)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I found Carolina on equine.com for $500. She was at a "bloodstock sales barn." She had been there 3 months while they fattened her up. Before that she had spent two years in a barren field. Prior to that she had been sold for $17,500. She had been competing Level 4 showjumping and dressage. Don't know where she was before that. I have no idea about her registration or old owners or her true name so the trail stops there.

Maggie I just got. I got her for free from Georgia through equine.com as well. So far all I know about her is that her last owner had her for six months, she got her from a farrier that traded his services to buy her from a show barn in Alpharetta, GA. Before that she had been imported from Ireland into a sporthorse farm in SC that doesn't exist anymore.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hmm well I don't own a horse but I can tell you what I know about my soon to be lease horse as told by his owners father. It's not very exciting but kinda cool. His owner Emily's uncle owned a farm and several horses and is the type of person who just has a way with horses and can just hop on a horse and ride them. He owned several horses and invited Emily to come to his farm and ride. Emily did that for quite a while and it was obvious that she had a passion for it. One day Emily's uncle called her dad and told him about this horse he had bought. He was around 3 at the time a little rough around the endges, unbroken and underweight but he saw something in him and just couldn't leave him. He brought Eddie home broke him and invited Emily out to ride. After that he told her that the horse was hers and she could either take him and move him somewhere else or he could keep him and she could ride him there. So Emily has had him ever since, they started out as an inexperienced rider and a green horse and 4 years later are doing awesome. Emily is going away to university and I am fortunate enough to be free leasing him from her until she returns!

·
Registered
209 Posts
The story of how I found Eddie is kinda cool though. I'd been considering part boarding a horse for a while. I knew I couldn't afford to pay for a lease and then board and everything else on top of that and didn't want to buy a horse since I'll be going away to college next year. I find it really frustrating taking my group lessons once a week and never being able to work on what my instructor tells me I need to improve because the only time I ride is during the lesson! So one night I was sitting at home and was really bored so I decided to search for horses for part board on a local horse classifieds website. I was scrolling through and found an add for a "Talented Large Pony for Free Lease" it seemed interesting so I took a look. I read through the description and looked at the picture and thought it sounded really good. I looked at the contact information and realized that his owner is actually a friend of mine I went to high school with! I quickly searched for her and added her on facebook haha! Sent her a message asking her if she had found someone to lease Eddie and to my surprise she hadn't yet. After a few chats with my parents and my instructor I was off to try him out, and now I'm going to be leasing him starting September.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Dobe: I got him as a 3 year old. He had been captured off the prarie as a yearling (I think) then adopted by some people in a nearby town. They never handled him because they were afraid of him so he was a blank slate for me.

Koda: I got him as a 4 year old. He had been captured off the prarie as a weanling then adopted by a lady in a nearby town. She fiddled with him a bit then turned him out until he was 3. She sent him down to a trainer in south Texas then and the trainer was not even able to get a halter on him so he got sent home. He was turned out until I got him then he was turned out here until he was 5 when I broke him to ride.

Denny: Came from a woman in Keen TX who had raised him. One of her "cowboy" trainers had tried to break him and failed miserably. Every time the guy would make a move, Denny would jump, the guy would get scared, and beat Denny for reacting like that. They even broke one of his front teeth with a 2x4. When they did finally try to start riding him, he hurt one of the trainers bad enough to spend a couple days in the hospital. After that, he was shipped to my Dad to train. He had a rep for dealing with problem horses. Anyway, I fell in love and the rest is history.

Sis: Raised on a cutting horse ranch in Oklahoma. She was started on cattle and started bucking the riders off so she was put up for sale, brought her home for $800.

Flash: Raised in Taos, NM. Started at 18 months to be a show horse. Did some reining, WP, and roping. At 5 was diagnosed with Navicular by 3 different vets. Owner wanted to put him down but Dad was convinced that he could help him so owner gave him to my brother. When he got off the trailer, he was completely lame on both front feet (he had been shod with zero heel and a toe about 2 inches too long). So he was shod properly and given some time to heal. Within about 3 months, he was sound again and we started using him as a roping and ranch horse.

Flipper: Got him when he was about 15. He had been used on barrels, poles, and in parades and had some very serious behavioral issues. He would prance, and dance, and when he got hot and mad, he would throw himself down on top of the rider. I don't know much of anything else about his history.

Bessie: At one time, she had been part of a driving team but her mate had been killed by lightning a couple of years before. So the owner just turned her out in the pasture with a QH stud and left her. He never even caught her up for shots or hoof care, let alone basic grooming. He was fixing to ship her off to auction (and we all know what would have happened to a green broke 7 year old Belgian mare there) but Dad offered to take her. When she came off the trailer, she was about the size of a bloated bus and a couple of months later, she gave me Rafe.

Buck (RIP): He was born and raised on a breeding farm in Kansas. When they tried to start on his training at 3, he was more than the trainer could handle and he ended up nearly killing about 2 people. They had loaded him on a truck with a bunch of cattle that were headed to the slaughter house when my Dad saw him. He offered to take the horse and at first, the owner refused because he didn't want to be responsible when that horse hurt my Dad. Anyway, we ended up with him and after being used for many years as a roping horse, Buck found his true calling as a kid horse. He raised both my brother and I.

None of my others have a very interesting story.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Got my Sundance at the auction for $60. Since he was a stud and acting up a little in the sale ring nobody else wanted him. He is 4 years old and the woman that had him was afraid of him. They were pretty rough with him, yanking on his bit and hitting him with a crop when they rode him. I had him cut a week after I got him. He is pretty green but we are making good progress.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My last horse that I owned,Chili-Sauce.A QH/Arab chestnut mare was my one in a million horse...my very best friend.I bought her for $400 cash from an old horse trader.She was going to go for meat!Thank God I found her and I had 13 wonderful years with her.
Today,I train and rescue horses as a tribute to my Chili.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My very first riding instructor gave me my first horse. She was a 27 year old Morab who had a lot of gymkhana miles on her. She was my baby. I had 5 good years with her before we had to put her to sleep. I still dearly miss her.

My second horse was purchased off a friend of mine who rescued her from an auction. She was a HaflingerXChariot pony, I owned her for 2 years, but I had to sell her when we moved. :( She has a very good home now, to a young girl who pony clubs. Juniper gets spoiled rotten!

Current horse: Dilly is a Dutch WB. My coach currently owns her, but I'm leasing her with the plan to buy in September. She is 8 and has been trained by a dressage professional. She's a pro who is going to help me learn the ropes.

·
Super Moderator
26,541 Posts
Pistol (born in 1984) I bought as a half starved three year old from a jerk that I once dated (as a teenager - teens can be pretty naive). He was an abusive neglectful owner. He had bought him as a 2 year old from the breeder. His mother was supposedly a TB but I believe she was an arab or a QH. She was crazy and had actually attacked the women that owned her, she was sold to a couple that had her insured for a large sum of money... she was killed shortly there after by a stray arrow. His father was The Old Man. He is 25 now.

Black (he was around 16ish) came from a friend of mine that was going through some financial hardships, he rode the horse hard but took good care of him and loved him. He still checks on him every now and again. Black came from a TWH show barn in NC and I believe he suffered some type of abuse before coming to my old friend. He is 30 now.

Blue bought him from a couple not far from here that were inexperienced and using him as a breeding stallion at 3 years. They were planning to use him as a barrel horse and ended up making huge mistakes and almost ruining him. He is now terribly afraid of whips. He came from Kentucky where someone really put some time and effort into teaching him ground manners. That training was done correctly and has really stuck. He is 10 now.

Beautybought her from my trainer who picked her up at auction. She actually came from a really big breeder in MD. I saw a dreamhorse ad for a horse that had her listed as the mother so I e-mailed the owner who told me her original name was Sunny (her name was Beauty when I got her). That person had owned her and put a ton of money into training her as a western pleasure horse but she refused to show and actually turned out to be a really dirty girl... dumping trainers with ease. After about a year she proved that owner to be correct, she does not show... however she LOVES beginners and will pack them around all day long... just don't ask her to collect up and show...

Riley is Beauty's baby. I bred her to my trainers stallion and have had him since day one.

Sierra I traded my pony with my trainer. She came from a mule show in TN... that's all I really know...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts