Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So my gelding is currently lame. But it's a little tricky. Here's the situation...

Last year his right front foot got white line disease which then turned into an infection of the coffin bone. After surgery and rehab and everything we are finally back to work and we have been doing pretty well. But recently he has started to get a little sore on the same foot. Now, a few weeks ago when my farrier came out he pulled a nail out of his old shoe to put on a new one and his foot started bleeding everywhere. No pain or heat, just bleeding. Farrier thought it could be a bit of an abscess. So we reset the shoe with nails not near there. About a week later farrier came back out to check the foot again, and he tested for pain and right in that same spot he had some pain. So we took the shoe off cut a small little relief in the foot by this spot and put the shoe back on. Now... Here's the tricky part. When he goes out to ride or lunge he starts out a little stiff, then works out of it and looks nice. But after about ten minutes he is dead lame. Dramatic head bob and everything, yet the foot is still weight bearing. Do you think this could really be just an abscess??

·
Registered
25 Posts
See your vet!

It's very possible if he does have an abscess that it's created more problems. I would seek a vet's opinion and go from there. You don't want to let an abscess go too long and start infecting the boney structure of the hoof.:think:

·
Registered
49,251 Posts
when you cut the drainage hole, did you do the soaks and wrapping to draw out the infection? the typical treatment for an abcess?

·
Super Moderator
23,628 Posts
Call a good vet immediately! Get the shoe off immediately! Quit riding... weeks ago!

Now, a few weeks ago when my farrier came out he pulled a nail out of his old shoe to put on a new one and his foot started bleeding everywhere. No pain or heat, just bleeding. Farrier thought it could be a bit of an abscess. So we reset the shoe with nails not near there.
Bleeding?? Everywhere?? Please explain further. There is no way I'd put a conventional shoe on a foot in that condition.

the shoe off cut a small little relief in the foot by this spot and put the shoe back on. Now... Here's the tricky part. When he goes out to ride or lunge he starts out a little stiff, then works out of it and looks nice. But after about ten minutes he is dead lame. Dramatic head bob and everything, yet the foot is still weight bearing. Do you think this could really be just an abscess??
'a small relief' sounds like a bad idea, esp when the farrier doesn't even know what's going on! Putting the shoe back on is a bad idea. Riding a lame horse is an absolutely terrible idea. & no, I suspect it's not 'just' an abscess(tho an abscess may be the symptom), but who knows without more info.

·
Banned
568 Posts
Sounds like its time to have the vet out to do xray of that hoof. And stop working/riding him till problem is taken care of.:wink:

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Loosie, I've heard of pulling shoes for an abscess but never adding (or reapplying shoes). Glad to know I was on the right track.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The bleeding everywhere does not sound correct! Where was the blood coming from? in relation to the frog, the sole the white line the wall? I do hope you make a boot and began to soak it with Epsom salt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.