The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So odie is a mess and i need a few supplements for him. MSM as it helps a bit with inflammation so that could help keep the neurological symptoms down. may also help any neck injury he has. He needs a good hoof supplement as the vet even noticed his hooves are not the best quality just by looking at the outside of it. and a Vitamin E supplement for the neurological issues. all can be quite expensive. i board and i CANNOT see him daily to give him stuff like this daily. now i can premeasure it out into small containers to help BO out though.

I was thinking smart paks because they are easy and have all that i need. my issue is if they will be COST effective. would it be cheaper or worth it to buy it all separately, or just do smart paks.

·
Administrator
36,137 Posts
I buy most supplements through Amazon now because they give free shipping and usually a better price for the same product.
You can buy some washable lidded containers and fill them yourself to leave at the barn.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
I tried doing the make my own supplement containers, but it got tedious and time consuming very quickly. I finally bit the bullet and ordered smartpaks. Right now the convenience out weighs the added cost. But I am only using the spirulina pellets and biotin pellets. I could see where if you use several supplements it could get quite costly.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont mind measuring it out. its more effectiveness + cost. convenience is a bonus. i have a BUTTLOAD of similac containers i can use for supplements. they need to then be stored in a rat proof container but that's doable as well.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
I like MVP products for supplements. Back when I needed them for my old guy I found this place to be more cost effective but that was more than a few years ago.

https://www.unitedvetequine.com/

Read through your ingredient list because oftentimes you can find a supplement that provides two or more things that you're needing.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
California trace and California trace plus has made a world of difference for my horses. I also use Vitamin E in the winter when they are on a hay only diet. I researched the best vitamin E and it is said that D tocopherols (natural) is more readily absorbed rather than dl (synthetic). With the dl you would have to give double the amount over d .

Here is a vitamin E that I found to be reasonably priced on Amazon. I typically give my girls 2000 IU each day when they are not eating fresh pasture daily. Your vet may recommend more.
https://www.amazon.com/Puritans-Pri...sprefix=natural+vitamin+e+1000,aps,196&sr=8-5

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I'll also add that dl (synthetic) is more stable for storage so if you choose that you would just increase by 1/3 to be equivalent to it's natural form.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all! he needs at least 10000 IU of vit E DAILY according to uc davis for neurological issues. the Health E is 16000 IU vit e per serving (1tbs) and that is EXACTLY what i was needing. the MSM is apparently in the same family as DMSO so hopefully it can keep swelling down of his nervous system. and maybe help whats going on in his neck. i just picked a hoof supplement i herd alot about. anyone know a good one that is even more cost effective? i mean i think i broke it down well but if i can get the same for even cheaper im down. then maybe i can add things like devils claw and such.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts