The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my haflinger is broke to drive. I know he was last harnessed up in spring and was ground drove. I am planning on buying a harness and maybe eventually a cart in the future. How would I go about bringing him back into driving? It's purely for fun and I know nothing about driving. I would plan on getting an instructor before I hitched to anything of course but anyone have any insight?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Once you get a harness, you can ground drive &/or get them hooked up to a tire & get them pulling. Glad to hear your going to find an instructor. There's way more that goes into it than most people think

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm not going into this totally blind! Haha. I don't know the first thing about driving. Also, I know it's kinda hard to tell as it depends on the horse but my guy is a 14.2 haflinger. Should I go with a cob sized harness or horse?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Since mini donkey's are hard to fit, the company I got my harness through had to mix & match sizes. He has a shetland size bridle & back strap & the rest is mini B size. I know that's not much help, but it's all I can offer :)

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
A cob size should work on a Haflinger.

I would take him to a trainer who has the cart and facilities and help to get him hitched the first time.

Nancy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts