The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently started showing my mare in an English correction Kimber wick. I barrowed it from my friend and I am looking to buy one. When I looked online I found there are other types of correction bits. I was wondering how much of a difference there is with a d ring with hooks (for curb and rein placement) and a correctional kimberwick like I have been riding her in? I have heard around my show circuit judges don't like kimberwicks so im wondering if the d ring will still do the job or if they are significantly different?

d-ring:
FES Copper Correction D-ring with Hooks in Correction / Ported Snaffles at Schneider Saddlery

kimberwick:
FES Kimberwick Copper Correction in Kimberwick at Schneider Saddlery

To recap, my main questions are is there a big difference between the two, which do you recommend, and do you think the judges prefer the look of a d ring rather than the kimberwick for pleasure type shows?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Make sure to double check with your show rules/regs that kimberwicks with slots & D-Rings w/hooks are legal bits. I know kimberwicks w/slots are acceptable in stock hunter but are not in traditional hunter.

Sorry I can't give you any insight on the bits, I can't quite explain why I would choose one over the other or the differences between them. It makes sense to me but none when I type it out LOL.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The better bit is the one your horse responds to you best in and is more relaxed in. Sadly, the only way you'll know is to try them.

I just went through a very similar situation. My horse is very responsive in a plain snaffle when she wants to be. When she's hot and fired up and wants to race, she may as well have a pacifier in her mouth. My dilemma was finding something to keep her in my hand and still communicating, without going overboard and getting a harsher bit than necessary and causing resistance.

I tested two similar versions, but they were Mylers.
I tested these:
Myler Bits Kimberwick MB02
Myler Forward Tilt Ported Barrel Eggbutt w/Hooks

When using the slots/hooks on both bits, and with a curb-chain on the eggbutt, the biggest difference is that the Kimberwick has poll pressure as an added effect on the horse.

Here's what I found in the two bits I tested. First I tested the Kimberwick: Lovely!!! She was so responsive and soft. When getting all racey, I could eaily bring her gently back with very little resistance.
The eggbutt: almost identical response. However, with this bit, the slightest half-halt feels like it encourages her to bring her head down and onto the bit and give to it of her own free will. In comparison, he response to the Kimberwick seemed more mechanical or forced. With the eggbutt, I would describe it as being able to bring her gently back into my hand.

Also with the eggbutt, I put the reins in the hooks and use a curb-chain when I know we'll be in a situation where she'll be racey and hot. If I know we'll be plodding along, I remove the curb-chain and let the reins slide loose instead of using the hooks, and she basically just has a snaffle.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
BTW, when deciding between the two bits, I simply bought both bits to give them both a try. I picked my mare's favorite, and am just selling the other one. I figure I'll take about a $20 loss on that. I think that's worth it to find what she's happiest in. I could only find the bits I tried new. If you can find yours used, you could probably resell the "reject" without much loss.

I'm thinking I should start a "bit-exchange" or "bit-bank" where people could check out bits and try them...

And BTW, the "hooks" that that D-ring correction bit are not for the curb placement. The top hooks are where the headstall cheekpieces attach. It prevents the bit from roating in the horse's mouth - gives more stability. The reins can either attach to the lower hooks or just float freely.

·
Registered
15,038 Posts
I use both, not Myler brand per se, and the D-ring, I don't use a correction bit, I use port & roller. Horse likes both, goes well in both, neither is marked down by a judge, both are legal bits in the association I show under- Equine Canada.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the bits are legal, she had a myler with a port that I used but it had a roller she played with nonstop, which is not pleasent. I feel as though both are similar but I know the kimberwick works very well for us as shows (at home I ride her in a plain snaffle) but like I said I'm worried about the bad rep kimberwick s have gotten.. I'll ask around my barn to shave their opinion!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
but like I said I'm worried about the bad rep kimberwick s have gotten.. I'll ask around my barn to shave their opinion!
I've also heard the bad rap of Kimberwicks. However, I've seen a LOT of horses really go well and have no problems with Kimberwicks. Your hands need to respect that it's not a snaffle - it's a curb bit with poll, tongue, and bar action. If the rider understands that, the Kimberwick can be appropriate for the right horse. Some horses just settle down and get to work in a Kimberwick without any fuss. Why, I don't know. Some just like it.

Don't ask your barn-buddies what they think. Ask your horse. Your horse will be painfully honest.

·
Registered
15,038 Posts
Kimberwickes have no bad rap here, in a class of a dozen or more horses, most will be going in a kimberwicke.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Those are both horrible bits.

Do you see the bumps at the bottom of the port? Those bumps will dig into your horse's tongue constantly, even if she's being perfect, and even if your hands are perfectly still.

You want a bit that is smooth against the tongue.

Also, the port/hump is so severe. If you use any direct reining (one-hand reining, typical for English riding), her tongue is going to get caught up in that port and pulled to the side. Very uncomfortable, very distracting.

You want a more gentle curve.

There's nothing wrong with Kimberwicks! It's those two Kimberwicks I'm criticizing, not all of them. Not this one.

The one I just linked is a gentle bit. Using the top ring, it's basically a snaffle, only direct pressure, no curb effect, no leverage.

Using the second ring, it's a very short-shanked curb. You can even use it with two reins. The mouthpiece is gentle, but you will have emergency brakes (leverage) if you need them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.