The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to purchase. I have been riding peruvian pasos and enjoy the smoothly gaited ones. I hear they have the smoothest gait, so the peruvain people say. Problem is, I like a larger horse 16H. Do any of the other gaited breeds offer 16H and super smooth like the peruvians?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also you may want to look at the Foxtrotters. I have one (only 14.3) that has a smooth gait. There are may breeds out there. If you are just trail riding it really doesn't matter what breed as long as it is a smooth gait and and a well broke horse, but even with a well broke one you have to stay on top of there gait.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Many North American breeds will go 16H or better. All North American breeds have wide variations in way of going within the breed. This means buying "breed" does not buy you same thing as in the Peruvian or Paso Fino (which are far more "internally consistent breeds" when it comes to gait).

This puts you in the place of the princess who has to kiss a lot of frogs before they find their prince!!! :)

Good luck in your search.

G.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Many North American breeds will go 16H or better. All North American breeds have wide variations in way of going within the breed. This means buying "breed" does not buy you same thing as in the Peruvian or Paso Fino (which are far more "internally consistent breeds" when it comes to gait).

This puts you in the place of the princess who has to kiss a lot of frogs before they find their prince!!! :)

Good luck in your search.

G.
Very true. Each horse is an individual. Try out a lot of them. I agree that is you are looking for a larger horse, you might start with the Tennessee Walker. Don't just try one or two and decide against it though, ride a bunch of them. I rode a gaited Saddlebred on the trails for years. It was very very smooth. That said, MOST gaited Saddlebred horses I have found since then are not quite ready to go out on the trails so... again, each one is an individual. Good luck. Take your time, enjoy the search and hopefully you will find a perfect trail partner to share your time with for many years to come.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I myself was ruined when my first Gaited horse was a $70 grade paso at the local sale barn. She is smooth as glass, but like many is only 14.1-14.2. So like you I wenl looking for a bigger horse, Most everyone I know who has gaited stock rides TWH or some variation, and within those ranks they go from beautifully smooth running walk on down to a jarring pace. I fell into the world of rocky mountain horses and found my personal prefrence here, now that is not to say that there are no "bad" ones in the RMH world, but they fit our needs.

i would say with a little bit of research yo can find almost anybreed in a 16hh variation, as there are alot of people here stateside who are looking for a bigger horse. But if I knew that I needed a 16 or 16+ gaited horse I would likely concentrate my efforts to looking at TWH, only because there are more of them around.

Now that said, You may want to sit a couple examples of the different breeds, because sometimes with size the feel and movement of the gaits will change.

If I may, why are you so dead set on a 16hh horse? just personal prefrence? do you think you are to big for a smaller framed horse?

I find a lot of people who mistake height for stoutness in the world of field trials, so see alot of people struggling with 16.2 horses when a slightly thicker 15hh would have done the job.

Jim

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Saddlebreds often reach 16h+. But I can't attest to the smoothness of their gait. xD

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the TWH gait... But that's probably just because I didn't know how to ride it.

Peruvian Pasos are AWESOME

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Saddlebreds often reach 16h+. But I can't attest to the smoothness of their gait. xD

This can vary from "smooth as glass" to "hold on to your kidneys" so, try a few of them out to find the one that fits your needs.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Not intended as a dig or as disrespect of a persons chosen breed but I very rarely think of saddlebreds as a gaited horse. probly because there aren't many around here.

Jim

·
Registered
941 Posts
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the TWH gait... But that's probably just because I didn't know how to ride it.

Peruvian Pasos are AWESOME

The first time I rode a true running walk I didn't like it at all, i didn't really know how to sit it, but now I find I like it.

Same with the ambling gait of the rocky mountain horse, its all in how you sit it.

Like has been mentioned ride several, and buy what you like.

Jim

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I doubt you will find a pleather of horses that are well broke, nicely gaited, good age etc so I wouldn't be concerned with breed and look at any that fit your needs, budget location etc
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
941 Posts
I doubt you will find a pleather of horses that are well broke, nicely gaited, good age etc so I wouldn't be concerned with breed and look at any that fit your needs, budget location etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Seriously? Around here (southern Indiana, KY, TN) we broke decently gaited horses are a dime a dozen from 3yo on up.....

Jim

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Not intended as a dig or as disrespect of a persons chosen breed but I very rarely think of saddlebreds as a gaited horse. probly because there aren't many around here.

Jim
a 5 gaited saddle bred is just for the show ring and you wouldn't consider them a gaited trail horse as a trot is there main gait
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
466 Posts
You will not find naturally gaited, well trained horses for a dime a dozen any where. Even in today's economy. The good ones still demand reasonable prices. Most well trained, naturally gaited ones will bring $3000.00 and up.

If your truly looking for a naturally gaited horse with size (15.2 to 16 hds) look for Cupid Arrow offspring.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Peruvian Paso's are considered to be the "cadillac" of gaited horses. So I dont know if you are going to get anything any smoother.

I prefer my Spotted Saddle mare. She is 15.3 and stocky. She does the typical walk/trot/canter but she can also running walk, pace, and rack. So its nice to be able to switch gaited whenever I want to.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I had a standardbred mare who had lovely gaits- except for her trot which was horrid. She could "canter in the front" and trot in the back. It was SO Smooth! She could gait that way as slow as a walk, or as fast as a canter. I wish I had video, but that was years back. I don't even know what that gait is called. Maybe there isn't a name for it.

I should give her owner a call and see if I could come take her for a ride again. Such a lovely mare! She would be in her 20's now.

I don't care for saddlebreds. Most of the ones I've met don't gait as easily as some of the other breeds. I don't really like the gaits on Walkers either, but I can't say I've ridden very many of them.

Spotted Saddle horses are nice. They tend to be laid back and easy to train. My neighbor breeds them.

I think Paso's are the smoothest of them all, so if you really want smooth, get a Paso.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Be it Peruvian Paso or Paso Fino, most of them are smooth, BUT there are many other gaited horses just as smooth. You do not need to settle for a "Paso" to get smooth. Your chances of finding a taller one is much better with the others.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.