The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, friends. Long-time listener, first-time caller.馃槀

I am adopting a lovely mare, getting back into horses for the first time since 2013 (I have been taking lessons since December). I have many questions, but will start with the saddle.

My main activities on the lovely Lark will be trails and some ring work for lessons, but no extreme jumping. I did have a mind to eventually maybe graduate to overnight trail rides, but that's a ways down the road. I am not a confident rider and am working on my seat, so I am looking for something that will naturally put me deeper in the tack while I learn to lay off the reins and use my seat and leg more adeptly.

Does this sound like an all-purpose saddle is a good idea? I was considering a western saddle, too, but I am not sure.

Thoughts are all appreciated. TIA. :)

Registered
Imo, All purpose saddles are more often No-purpose saddles. Most of them dont put you in a good position for anything.

It's easier to do dressage in a jumping saddle than it is to jump in a dressage saddle. If you're going to be doing more jumping than dressage, grab a jumping saddle. You can look into eventing saddles too as they will have a deeper seat but still allow for jumping.
If you go with a dressage saddle, you can get ones with minimal blocks that would be easier to jump in. Personally, I hate big blocks on dressage saddles for any purpose

Registered
A western saddle with a roughout seat (suede) really helps give confidence to new riders. The roughout gives your seat something to grip and helps you stay put as you learn to balance in the saddle. Also westerns are great for trail/overnight rides as they have the horn and all kinds of D rings to hook bags and bedrolls to. :)

Super Moderator
I prefer a jumping saddle or western for long (ish) days.

A western saddle can't be beat for packing gear. But there are a lot of ways to pack on an English saddle, too. It is up to you and your needs.

Registered
I would suggest either a dressage saddle, which works well for developing a seat, and can work for some trail riding . . . OR . . . if you want to jump, then get a jump saddle AND a western trail saddle. Sorry, on one answer works for all.

Registered
I would get a nice deep-seat jumping saddle with knee and thigh blocks. Definitely a straight flap if you do more flatwork. I do not have any problems trail riding in my jump saddle.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'd suggest something like this. You may could find one used or they sell their demo models.
I really like this one! It seems perfect for what I am trying to do.

But I also like the idea of a western saddle for packing gear. Since long trail rides are not in the immediate future, I will most likely put that off for now and focus on getting us both into shape.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Super Moderator
That's what the rings are for. Make it really easy to add ways to carry stuff.

They have a line made in Argentina called Mystic. Same tree and flocking. Different leather. Less expensive. I have not put my hands on one of those but considering the quality standard they demand I suspect these are going to be like the old Collegiates I have from Argentina. Built to last.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts