The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one tried these supplements? i may get some for my horses. has anyone tried these suplements and do they work? also can you tell me what other products work for muscle mass,energy,and and a show coat?thnx!

Muscle-Up Powder

Testimonials

(Animed) A premium, fast-absorbing vitamin and mineral muscle-building supplement containing gamma oryzanol, creatine and DMG. Gamma oryzanol, an all-natural alternative to prescription anabolic steroids, and creatine, “the natural steroid”, are rapidly gaining a reputation for promoting muscle growth and strength. DMG is an active metabolite (vitamin-like nutrient) known for its ability to retard lactic acid accumulation while improving oxygen utilization. Muscle-Up also contains these essential muscle nutrients: Vitamin E, folic acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, copper, cobalt, selenium, magnesium, vitamin C, niacin, thiamine, zinc and sodium in a sweetened base. Feed 2 tbsp daily for 14 days, then 1 tbsp daily as a maintenance dose.

More Muscle Solution

(Corta-Flx) A dietary supplement with gamma oryzanol (1,000 mg/day). which promotes fast and effective production of muscle mass. Formula does not separate. 1/2 oz. per day.

Super Coat 17

(Med-Vet Pharmaceuticals) A carefully balanced blend of polyunsaturated fatty acids and various B vitamins recognized as a nutritional supplement. Healthy skin and hair coats reflect nutritionally well-balanced rations. There is no need to feed corn oil or other less effective oil products that are more expensive.

Nu-Image

Testimonials

A nutritional supplement of fatty acids, biotin, zinc and amino acids scientifically formulated for healthy, lustrous hair, mane and tail. New improved formula gives a superior bloom for a show quality coat. Feed 2 scoops per day for 3 days, then 1 scoop thereafter.

Ener-G Plus

(Rio Vista) A nutritional source of energy for use before intense athletic events such as racing, rodeo, jumping, endurance, etc. Bicarbonates reduce lactic acid load on muscle tissue and aid in the body’s ability to regulate blood pH for quick recovery from muscle fatigue. Contains fatty acids, electrolytes and microbials. Administer entire tube.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Supplements are "supplements" for the simple fact that they haven't had sufficient studies performed to PROVE to the FDA that they actually do something. So, spending money on supplements is a bit of gamble.

That being said, there are some supplements which do use what we know and ingredients that are considered foods/nutrients to provide benefit. The best example of this is weight gain supplements which provide fats and/or proteins to help put weight on a horse. You would likely be able to get the same results as using these products at a cheaper price by simply ensuring that your horse is on a balanced diet that is provided in adequate amounts and then adding a bit of vegetable oil.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
If your horse is having issues with good coat and muscle tone, then you first need to look at his/her overall diet.

So, what exactly does your horse eat? Type of hay and how much? Type of feed and how much? Any pasture turn out? Any other supplements?

Next, how often is your horse ridden, for how long, and how hard?

How old is your horse? What breed? What size?

When was the last time you dewormed your horse and with what exact product? What kind of deworming schedule do you have your horse on?

When was the last time your horse's teeth were floated? Were they done by a vet, equine dentist, or shoer?

All of the above has a great impact on your horse's condition and overall health. Adding supplements to your horse's diet will not do much of anything if your horse's diet is out of balance, is lacking, or your horse's health care needs are not being met.

My horses have great bloom (hair, skin, and feet), good muscle tone, and keep great weight on just pasture (limited), free choice quality mixed grass hay, 1.5-2 lbs of alfalfa pellets, 1/2 cup of flax, and a general vit/min supplement daily. No special supplements, muscle builders, hoof goodies, or even horse feed or grain. They are ridden 3-6 days a week, up to 2-3 hours a day.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your horse is having issues with good coat and muscle tone, then you first need to look at his/her overall diet.

So, what exactly does your horse eat? Type of hay and how much? Type of feed and how much? Any pasture turn out? Any other supplements?

Next, how often is your horse ridden, for how long, and how hard?

How old is your horse? What breed? What size?

When was the last time you dewormed your horse and with what exact product? What kind of deworming schedule do you have your horse on?

When was the last time your horse's teeth were floated? Were they done by a vet, equine dentist, or shoer?

All of the above has a great impact on your horse's condition and overall health. Adding supplements to your horse's diet will not do much of anything if your horse's diet is out of balance, is lacking, or your horse's health care needs are not being met.

My horses have great bloom (hair, skin, and feet), good muscle tone, and keep great weight on just pasture (limited), free choice quality mixed grass hay, 1.5-2 lbs of alfalfa pellets, 1/2 cup of flax, and a general vit/min supplement daily. No special supplements, muscle builders, hoof goodies, or even horse feed or grain. They are ridden 3-6 days a week, up to 2-3 hours a day.
he eats purina performance feed,with regular grade hay.i have a big rol of hay and he eats whatever he feels like.he is mostly on pasture turn out.hes not broke to ride yet but he is lunged for 15 minutes every day or so.my horse is 18 months old,quarter horse,15 hh.the last time i dewormed my horse i used generic dewormer for like 3.00.i deworm him every month.he has never had his teeth floated.im going to be showing halter this spring and i need him to have good muscle tone and energy.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i need him to have good muscle tone and energy.
Best way to do that is hill work. I certainly dont want my weanling to have extra energy in a halter class. He would jig around while the judges are trying to look him over. If you are doing a schooling show in halter, the best thing to do is work on handling your horse.

I NEVER use creatine, ever. I had a math tutor in high school, who's husband died of a heart attack from it. No supplement is going to beef up your horse. He's young dont expect him to be as muscled as a stallion or a seasoned wp qh. Work on a good diet for the little guy, not trying to fix it with a bunch of supplement.

why the heck is he on performance feed? hes 18 months old. Sounds like you need to read up and educate yourself about different feeding choices and learn about different types of hay, and talk to your vet. No one should be deworming their horse with paste monthly. If hes lazy that could be why.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
he eats purina performance feed,with regular grade hay.i have a big rol of hay and he eats whatever he feels like.he is mostly on pasture turn out.hes not broke to ride yet but he is lunged for 15 minutes every day or so.my horse is 18 months old,quarter horse,15 hh.the last time i dewormed my horse i used generic dewormer for like 3.00.i deworm him every month.he has never had his teeth floated.im going to be showing halter this spring and i need him to have good muscle tone and energy.

A good diet for growth and muscle building is as follows:
  • 4-5 lbs of Alfalfa pellets every day, (about 2-3 sccops using a 3qt feed scoop).
  • 1 cup of either flax meal or stabilized rice bran, for added fat and "glow" to the coat. I like NutraFlax or Omega Horseshine.
  • Uckele's Tri-Amino supplement, for good muscle tone.
  • Any broad vitamin supplement, like Select II, Balance II (cheap, from horse.com), GrandVite, etc.
You don't need any other grain or feed.

If you go with Nutra-Flax, you can have Horsetech.com custom blend you a supplement with the Tri-Amino ingrediants and their "Photo Finish" vit/mineral blend, so you only have one bucket. Their prices include shipping costs. It might end up cheaper for you that way. I have mine custom blended from them, in a smilar mix, and it costs me $0.87 a day per horse.

And you do not need to deworm monthly. Talk to your vet about a proper deworming schedule for your area.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I'd also be careful about lunging him so much. Lunging is stressfull on young joints. If you have a riding horse, it would be better to pony him on trails for 30-60 minutes a day, at least some of the days, instead of lunging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.