The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been studying up and learning all I can about horse nutrition and info on commercial feeds and supplements. But what about hay?
Being the majority of their diet obviously it matters!
What types of hay are there and what are they good for?
Are there types better for easy keepers, that keep them busy but not overly nutritious? Are there types better for bad teeth or hard keepers or horses in heavy work? Just looking for knowledge :) I currently feed grass hay and that's all I've ever been exposed to in my area and I hardly know anything about it besides how much to feed! So please educate me :)

·
Super Moderator
15,249 Posts
Give us an idea of where you are and people will be able to give you better suggestions available in your area.

I know what I have by me is something "foreign" in other areas....learning experience coming up for many I bet.
:wink:

·
Super Moderator
15,249 Posts
With that as an answer.... T&A all the way.:)

You can get this hay and some of the very best quality "in your backyard" from neighboring states for a very enjoyable price to the pocketbook.

T&A can come in various percentages of % timothy to % alfalfa...
I've yet to meet a horse who didn't do well with this mix.

Rule of thumb applies here too...more hay = less grains fed.
Alfalfa hay is a protein building block and also said to reduce ulcers if fed in modest amounts.
Timothy is highly palatable and nutritious, easy to eat, chew and digest. {Smells great too!} A great hay to feed for those with laminitis concerns. Lower in protein than alfalfa but still more than adequate for the average working horse to thrive on.

Here is a article link that might give you some more information...
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/AnimalSciences/pubs/id146.pdf

:wink:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is very interesting :) I get "grass hay" but don't know what sort exactly.
Maybe I should look for some higher in timothy for my fatty and higher in alfalfa for my ulcer-prone hard keeper. :) I feed him alfalfa pellets in addition - but now I know why!
Thanks

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Timothy or timothy/orchard mix is easiest for us to find and bunch cheaper than the alfalfa. You could buy one hay and just add alfalfa pellets to the one that is ulcer prone. Keeps it simple.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I think most of the Poulin grain dealers offer free hay testing too. I keep meaning to do it and just never get there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.