The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aunt always carries her whip when she is riding her horse. he is a quarter hose thouroughred, and is VERY head strong. but i find it a bit unnecisarry to whip him! if he does the slightest thing wrong, she WHIPS him... hard and she keeps doing it tell he stops completley. i think it is ok to carry a whip wile u are riding, and tap your horse with it, but not whip him with it. but that is just my preference.:-|
i like gentling better than breaking.
but is this really necisary for her to whip her horse constantly when he does something wrong? i dont know how to tell my aunt.
Help?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Honestly, it depends on what exactly he's doing wrong. I know with my mare, I will WHIP her until she moves as asked. She knows what I'm asking and is purpously choosing not to do it. That's disrespect, and I expect the UTMOST respect from her. If I didn't, I'd label her as a dangerous horse. She had zero respect when I bought her, and she WAS dangerous. If she lifted her leg to kick, she got welts left from the whip on that side of her butt. If she tried to run me over, I yanked on the halter as hard as I could to make her back up, along with a crop to the chest.

I don't think anything aside from respect is absolutely necessary, but to each their own. I've had many people call me abusive for kicking her back or beating her butt when she kicked, but that's what gets through to her or she does it again right away. Hasn't kicked since I kicked her back in the gut with my boot. Not abuse, just a correction she actually understood.

All in all, if it works for the horse, why fix what isn't broken?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
There is nothing wrong with giving a good wallop if needed. But it is all about the timing, and as about, it must fit the crime. Yes, it's lovely if you can simply use the whip as a light tickle behind the leg as fine tuning, but often it does take a bit more to get the message across to some horses.
How experienced are you? Your Aunt whipping this horse may seem badly timed and abusive, but if you are not someone with an experienced eye, then you may not be picking the timing and seeing that the pressure is coming off when the desired behaviour is offered.
If however, you know what you're seeing and she is whipping purely out of frustration and confusing the bejeebus out of the horse, then, well unfortunately it's her horse and you're probably best to shut your mouth and stop watching her ride. Unless you have a good enough relationship with her that she will accept your criticism without complaint.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

There is nothing wrong with giving a good wallop if needed. But it is all about the timing, and as about, it must fit the crime. Yes, it's lovely if you can simply use the whip as a light tickle behind the leg as fine tuning, but often it does take a bit more to get the message across to some horses.
How experienced are you? Your Aunt whipping this horse may seem badly timed and abusive, but if you are not someone with an experienced eye, then you may not be picking the timing and seeing that the pressure is coming off when the desired behaviour is offered.
If however, you know what you're seeing and she is whipping purely out of frustration and confusing the bejeebus out of the horse, then, well unfortunately it's her horse and you're probably best to shut your mouth and stop watching her ride. Unless you have a good enough relationship with her that she will accept your criticism without complaint.
i am medium with experience. my aunt has been riding her whole life.

it sees as if she is whiping him out of fruteration. if he starts walking faster than he wants, she whips him.
but if she lightly pulled on the reins,(which she doesant) he would respond to that much better.
i think part of the reason she whips him is becuse she has had bad exerience with him before, as she broke him herself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
agree

Honestly, it depends on what exactly he's doing wrong. I know with my mare, I will WHIP her until she moves as asked. She knows what I'm asking and is purpously choosing not to do it. That's disrespect, and I expect the UTMOST respect from her. If I didn't, I'd label her as a dangerous horse. She had zero respect when I bought her, and she WAS dangerous. If she lifted her leg to kick, she got welts left from the whip on that side of her butt. If she tried to run me over, I yanked on the halter as hard as I could to make her back up, along with a crop to the chest.

I don't think anything aside from respect is absolutely necessary, but to each their own. I've had many people call me abusive for kicking her back or beating her butt when she kicked, but that's what gets through to her or she does it again right away. Hasn't kicked since I kicked her back in the gut with my boot. Not abuse, just a correction she actually understood.

All in all, if it works for the horse, why fix what isn't broken?
Posted via Mobile Device
in your place, i would do as you would have, and whiped her. but my aunts horse so much as twitches she will whip him to make him stop.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aunt

Can you get on her horse and show her how to handle his behavior? Maybe if she sees him behaving without being whipped she will try it
i would, but she wont allow me. she says hes to "dangerous". but i dont think he is. when i am in the corall with him he lets me pet him all over and is quite calm.

Reactions: Northern

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
It sounds like your Aunt is scared of him. A lot of people will react to fear with violence, it's quite normal nut unfortunately is not great when you're dealing with horses. Is our Aunt open to having some lessons with a more experienced trainer? Maybe a lesson or two to show that he is not going to go crazy on her, will be enough to settle down and use some other methods of behaviour correction.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx

It sounds like your Aunt is scared of him. A lot of people will react to fear with violence, it's quite normal nut unfortunately is not great when you're dealing with horses. Is our Aunt open to having some lessons with a more experienced trainer? Maybe a lesson or two to show that he is not going to go crazy on her, will be enough to settle down and use some other methods of behaviour correction.
Thank you, yes maybe is it out of fear.. her face does turn a weird color... lol... i will try to explain to her, and maybe my other aunt and grandma can help her a bit.
:wink:
thank you :)

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
If you've got other family members who can intervene, for the sake of the horse, you must facilitate that!

Since the horse has proven to not be dangerous, your aunt is in need of an intervention, to protect this horse from further abuse.

Good on you for taking the initiative & making friends with the horse; you've done a lot of good in showing him that not all humans will treat him like your aunt has!

It's possible that this horse & aunt don't jive personality-wise - he's her poison - but that he & you get along swimmingly. In that case, perhaps you can take over ownership of the horse.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I've trained plenty of horses and never needed to whip any of them! Very rarely they might need a tap... Like if a 2 yr old decides to strike out at a strange horse I might tap her once and pull her in a tight circle.

Usually I don't carry a whip unless I am doing groundwork. I don't need it. Period. If your horse misbehaves while riding there are other corrections you can do other than smacking him with a whip... Like if the horse wants to prance instead of walking, you can circle him until he settles, back him up, or side pass him. If the horse doesn't want to stop you can circle him or do a one rein stop... A million ways to train a horse without the whip.

If I carry a whip, usually it is for my protection from people predators (riding alone in the woods).

She has no business training a horse. That horse is going to get fed up with her smacking on him and is going to hurt her one day. It is only a matter of time. Honestly he is a saint for putting up with her. If you pulled that with one of my horses, they wouldn't understand it and you would eventually end up face first in the mud.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you guys!!!
I am going to totally talk to her.
Yeh, like I said she broke him herself, and he HAs bucked and reared her off a couple of times.
Yeh... Maybe I could talk her into me takin care of him for a bit.

It is weird, she has a A Quarter horse mare that she does drill team with, and she can train her perfectly fine without and of the walloping!!
And of coarse she never whips her Shetland!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you guys!!!
I am going to totally talk to her.
Yeh, like I said she broke him herself, and he HAs bucked and reared her off a couple of times.
Yeh... Maybe I could talk her into me takin care of him for a bit.

It is weird, she has a A Quarter horse mare that she does drill team with, and she can train her perfectly fine without and of the walloping!!
And of coarse she never whips her Shetland!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've trained plenty of horses and never needed to whip any of them! Very rarely they might need a tap... Like if a 2 yr old decides to strike out at a strange horse I might tap her once and pull her in a tight circle.

Usually I don't carry a whip unless I am doing groundwork. I don't need it. Period. If your horse misbehaves while riding there are other corrections you can do other than smacking him with a whip... Like if the horse wants to prance instead of walking, you can circle him until he settles, back him up, or side pass him. If the horse doesn't want to stop you can circle him or do a one rein stop... A million ways to train a horse without the whip.

If I carry a whip, usually it is for my protection from people predators (riding alone in the woods).

She has no business training a horse. That horse is going to get fed up with her smacking on him and is going to hurt her one day. It is only a matter of time. Honestly he is a saint for putting up with her. If you pulled that with one of my horses, they wouldn't understand it and you would eventually end up face first in the mud.
Agreed!!! I hate carrying a whip! Unles it is for show only!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I never carry a whip and the only time I ever use one is if I'm walking through a paddock of boisterous horses and need to chase them off. Perhaps there are some situations where it might be warranted, such as someone said about a kicker. I know if a horse's head gets too into my space an elbow goes that direction, until they move out of the way.

However, if the goal is not to get them moving away from me then I wouldn't use a whip. It doesn't make sense to the horse, it isn't what I've trained them at all for - just makes no sense. Just as I wouldn't continually hit a horse, if someone is using a crop, the idea is escalation, not repetition. If it doesn't work the first time think of something else.

You can't change how people are or what they do.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Since she doesn't abuse her other horses, it must be that this horse is her "poison", & one must utterly transcend one's weaknesses to humanely make "one's poison" deeply ok inside. That's hard work for a human, & not all want to work on themselves that much.

The only important thing that a human should be doing for the horse is making that horse deeply ok inside, & being the person whom the horse finds his okayness with. I doubt that your aunt doesn't already know this, but she lost her way with this horse & desperately needs help.

Please be so good as to update us!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you so much guys!!!! I talked to her today and she rode without her whip!!!! She did really well! Didn't seem scared at all!!! I am so proud of her hehe :3

Reactions: Northern and dlady
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.