The Horse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I have this 3 year old TWH cross who has white lines disease. Does anyone have any idea on how to treat it ?
Thank you for all your help!!!

·
Registered
10,934 Posts
1. Start with frequent hoof trims by a good farrier.

2. If the WLD is bad enough, it should be soaked with either White Lightening or Clean Trax.

Which of those is best depends on who you talk to:).

Qhike a soaking boot is best, you can also use doubled up (one inside the other) one gallon ziplock bags,

Hopefully the horse is not so bad, he needs resectioned. Not only is that not a pretty sight, it is waaaay more labor intensive to keep a resection clean than anyone wants to have to deal with, no matter how clean the horse’s living environment might be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Start with frequent hoof trims by a good farrier.

2. If the WLD is bad enough, it should be soaked with either White Lightening or Clean Trax.

Which of those is best depends on who you talk to:).

Qhike a soaking boot is best, you can also use doubled up (one inside the other) one gallon ziplock bags,

Hopefully the horse is not so bad, he needs resectioned. Not only is that not a pretty sight, it is waaaay more labor intensive to keep a resection clean than anyone wants to have to deal with, no matter how clean the horse’s living environment might be.
okay I know we have been soaking his feet with epsom salt( per the farrier) every night for the past 3 weeks we just arent seeing any improvement so I will for sure try this

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I had a TWH with some white line separation last year. We had a horrible wet spring and her pen was muddy. I used B Gone white line paste and it worked great. I also used Arti Mud. One thing that really helped was balancing out her diet. She is pre IR and has been chronically foundered by a past owner so her feet are not great to begin with. I stopped all grain for our mare and added KIS Trace supplement to the timothy and beet pulp she gets in lieu of grain. Her feet look great and her crests and fat pads are a little better

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a TWH with some white line separation last year. We had a horrible wet spring and her pen was muddy. I used B Gone white line paste and it worked great. I also used Arti Mud. One thing that really helped was balancing out her diet. She is pre IR and has been chronically foundered by a past owner so her feet are not great to begin with. I stopped all grain for our mare and added KIS Trace supplement to the timothy and beet pulp she gets in lieu of grain. Her feet look great and her crests and fat pads are a little better
I will have to look into that but yeah his previous owner have NEVER done his feet so we have done a lot on them

·
Registered
10,934 Posts
Have you posted pictures of your TWH and I missed them? Lollol

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
It is extremely common. Most horses have it to some degree. As long as the hoof grows faster then the white line disease, then you are typically okay. It is when it starts working up the hoof wall that you have a problem. I'm certain all my horses have it to a small extent.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I am going to respectfully disagree with the post above. It is not typical and should never ever be over looked. The hoof wall will never grow faster than the white line. The hoof grows down and white line grows up - and to devastating effects. Treatment can be pretty low cost so it is best to get it under control ASAP!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Pete Ramey says: "
FUNGAL AND BACTERIAL TREATMENT
I guess I can't write an article on white line disease without the mention of anti-fungal (and anti-bacterial) treatments - they can be important. Be sure that any treatment you use does not destroy live tissue at a cellular level - otherwise, you may be contributing to the problem by eating the lesions deeper and creating dead tissue for opportunistic pathogens to feed on. Notable antifungal treatments that tend not to damage live tissue are activated and diluted Oxine AH,White Lightning, Clean Trax, and 30-minute 50/50 apple cider vinegar/water solutions (note: each of these can irritate the skin of isolated horses - start gradually and pay attention. Don't mix any of them stronger than the directions). For horses with sensitive skin, the Oxine, White Lightening and Clean trax can be used with just a small amount in the bottom of a plastic bag with the top of the bag taped tightly around the horse's leg at mid-cannon. The gas emitted from the solutions is effective at disinfecting the foot without a need to soak above the hairline. Thoroughly rinse the leg after soaking.
Oxine AH Directions: Activate 4 ounces of Oxine AH with either 4 ounces of white vinegar or one teaspoon of citric acid. Wait until soultion activates/turns yellow, then dilute with one gallon of water. Do a 20 minute soak, 1-2 times per week - more detailed directions here.]
I am unsure at this time how much soaking contributes to my success with dealing with white line problems, but I do automatically start clients on a soaking regiment any time I start to feel like I am "wheel-spinning" with growing in well-connected walls/laminae. I can tell you for sure, though, that if you chemically treat the symptoms without dealing with the real problems, anti-fungal treatment will appear pretty ineffective. On the other hand, I have seen diligent treatment be a part of countless successful rehabilitations and have customers who swear by each of the half-dozen different treatment programs I have experimented with. But I also have grown out hundreds of severe white line problems with no chemical treatment going on at all, so you tell me."
I personally use 50/50 vinegar with soaking boots. Doesn't take much more than a cup to soak the bottom of the hoof.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I have used jock itch spray and athletes foot creams on my draft mix that got white line disease to cure it. Both are anit bacterial anti fungal meds. I just bought them at the dollar store. I put clean shavings down in his pen and also have used life data labs hoof clay. It seems soon as his feet get wet from mud/rain/pee spots/ or digging in his water trough it returns. Last bout of this was 5 years ago. I had to change him to a taller trough to keep his feet out . There are some new products out that we may try . His hoof did crack last summer it is hot and dry in the summers, and it gave the bacteria a place to hide.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I battled white line disease for six years with my mare. I tried everything, including CleanTrax and White Lightning. Everything worked a little bit. Nothing got rid of it completely. I had two different farriers taking off part of the hoof and paid for shoes for 8 months. Just when I thought I had it under control, it would come back.

My horse chiropractor recommended I buy copper sulfate at Home Depot, which is the stuff you put to clear drains, and mix it with vinegar, clean the area thoroughly, and spray the mixture 3 times a week. Finally, I seemed to be making real progress.

Then the person who was teaching me to trim my horses' hooves had a different suggestion: she said to drop the granules of copper sulfate into the cleared out area, then pack cotton soaked in vinegar into the open space. I was to check the area every week and replace the copper sulfate and vinegar soaked cotton if needed.

I have high hopes that we have this thing licked. Finally! After 6 years of struggling with many many different remedies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts