The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I had a 1/2 tb, 1/2 unknown gelding that was a bright red chestnut. Loved that little ******. Got him as an untouched 3 year old and he had 2 odd white marks on the top of his tail, one on either side, kind of diagonal striped pointing down in opposite directions. For years I thought someone bandaged his tail too tight and they were blemishes, but looking back that makes NO sense :shock:! He was basically untouched for his first 3 years! He also had a little tiny patch of white hairs (not solid, kind of roan-ish) right in front of his sheath that got a little bigger each year for the 3 years I had him.
I will sort some photos and see if I can find any of Tucker.

Are those white marks indicative of some sort of color marking?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Rabicano. It causes barring in the tail head, and is often accompanied by white ticking on the barrel.

Reactions: karliejaye

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it common in thoroughbreds? He was out of a grey TB mare who they bred to a homozygous black and white oldenburg stud (obviously NOT his sire) but when he came out chestnut they assumed the mare was bred through the fence by another stud, they are guessing another thoroughbred, but evidently there were 3 or 4 studs bordering the mare's pen (doesn't sound like a good breeding set up to me!!!)

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
It appears in lots of breeds, and yes, TBs can have it.

I would wonder what the "homozygous" meant in terms of the original stud before I discounted him completely. If the homozygous referred to black, then yes, not the sire. But it could be that he is homozygous for tobiano, in which case it still could be the father.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.