The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm back with another skin issue.

I noticed today that my gelding has these white sores on his inner thighs. He has one on each side. The larger one is about the size of a quarter. They are only visible when picking up his hind leg and pulling it forward---pretty high up his thighs. I have never seen anything like it on a horse. Does anyone know what this is?

He has been acting normally and not painful when moving. It's possible that he has had this for a while and I just haven't noticed it until now. Sorry that the pics aren't great, I had to pull his leg forward with one hand while snapping the pics with the other hand lol

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
That's skin depigmentation, which can happen from various causes that injure the deeper layers of the skin, including friction, freezing, venomous stings and various parasitic and microbial infections, some of which can be acquired through biting insects. Someone else here will recognise it if it's a common parasitic or microbial thing where you live!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@SueC @stevenson @QtrBel

Thank you for the insight everyone!
It does seem like it may be from friction/rubbing (almost like chaffing?) because they are located in a place where his things rub together. I honestly don't even know if it counts as a "sore" because he doesn't act painful when I touch it or when he walks. I also have no idea what I should do to treat it and prevent it from happing in the future. Fortunately, I have a vet coming out in a few days to pull his coggins so I will have him look at this as well!

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
Rinse him well before and after a ride or work. Use a baby wipe if rinsing isn't always an option. Anything to clean dirt and grit from that area.
I would question the baby wipe. It could have been a little allergy issue, or left some sort of residue? If you use them get the allergy safe non scented ones. Make sure you dry off that skin also .

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
The depigmentation isn't going to clear up - that is permanent. If the skin surface is intact it's healed as much as it is going to. Personally I doubt it comes from friction in this case. The shapes of the lesions suggest either insect or fungal involvement in the cause. I'd also not recommend putting Vaseline between a horse's hind legs as this will attract dirt and cause it to stick and cling, which will then sandpaper the horse (and not in nice oval shapes with clean borders).

I grew up up in a harness racing establishment where horses were trained at speed in fairly deep sand. They never developed friction issues between their hind legs, and friction doesn't necessarily cause depigmentation either - not if it's just a graze and without secondary microbial involvement, allergic reaction etc. The majority of depigmentation I have seen had allergies and skin infections as the primary cause.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts