The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some fun names on the horses in this years Derby.... American Lion, Sandy's Candy, Super Saver.....

I throw a Derby party every year and am so excited. We make Derby hats and cupcakes with the horses names on them..... we eat the cupcake of the horse we think is going to win so my pick this year is Dublin. He is the son of one of my favorite race horses, Afleet Alex (who never won the Derby but easily won the next two races of the triple crown).

Who do you like to win and why?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm obsessed with the Triple Crown races, and I've been studying the Blood Horse narrowing down my favorites. I don't have my numero uno picked out yet, but I really like Sidney's Candy, Lookin at Lucky, Awesome Act, and of course Eskendereya is lovely, but picking the odds-on favorite is boring. :)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree picking the odds on favorite is boring. It is also statstically not probable that they will win.....

What is it that you like about Looking at Lucky?

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Super Saver or Sidneys Candy :)
Because Calvin Borel and Joe Talamo are two my favorite Jockeys ohh and mike smith
Sidneys Candy won the San anita derby a few weeks ago. Lookin at Lucky got like 3rd but won the Rebel Stakes and another race. :)
But that doesnt mean there gonna win again but his statues is pretty good.

I went to a few horse races and everytime I looked at there statues and then I decided if he was gonna win or not. He/she either did win or didnt :p
My grandma was like win me more money please haha

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol.... I like American Lion too... the race with AL, Super Saver and Dublin was pretty much a three way race- it will be fun to see if they can handle the big field of the Derby to get out in front.

Is it just me or are there a lot of front runners this year? I like come from behind races just because the end is spectacular.....

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
You know, I don't even know who is running this year....just can't seem to get too excited about it. I'll be taking my daughter to "Dawn at the Downs" one morning next week, though, so maybe that "sneak peek" at them will give me a push. I always end up picking the ones with the best stories behind them - like General Quarters last year.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
I used to be an enthusiast, but just can't muster up the desire to follow or watch anymore.

Part of it is because I saw Secretariat win the Triple Crown all those years ago, and in my mind nobody can come close to that big, red horse.

Another part is that the life-ending injuries sicken me. When I saw Barbaro break his fetlock into pieces, I stopped watching racing altogether.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I went to a few horse races and everytime I looked at there statues and then I decided if he was gonna win or not.
What do you mean by statues?

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Eventers,
I'm a bit confused, generally the horses that rate a statue on the grounds of the track aren't horses that would be running that day (in fact, most are passed on by the time they are in statue form). Maybe I'm just not following what you're saying.......?
I have become severely disenchanted with racing and the industry in general. We still like attending DATD (lol, typing that all I could think was Don't Ask, Don't Tell....too many years as a military spouse), and we do watch the actual Derby via television (couldn't pay me enough to be in Louisville on Derby Day), but that is the extent of what I can stomach of racing. Even the events like DATD can be a bit much, there was a horrible collision last year when one of the horses got loose during morning workouts. Like SR, the breakdowns are just too much for me to watch.
When Eight Bells was running she was DD and I's pick - we had a great picture of her we snapped during her workout at DATD -- when she broke down we both sat and cried like babies watching the coverage.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Lookin' at Lucky and Sidney's Candy. :]
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I haven't even been keeping track. When is the derby? I don't generally follow racing but I do enjoy the triple crown (usually). I keep hoping that I will live long enough to see a triple crown winner but every year, it just seems more and more unlikely.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
If the Derby was in November I would watch every one but it is in May and there is just too many things I would rather do. This year I am branding calves so I really won't miss the two hour ramp up to the minute and a half race. If there was nothing else to do then I would definately watch it.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
^^ That is why I love my DVR. I can watch it at night when I am relaxing and fast forward through all the people talking. I generally just like to watch the walk from the paddock to the gate and the race, the rest of it doesn't interest me much.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I picked Eight Belles two years ago as well. It was just as heartbreaking as Go For Wand and Barbaro. However, I don't want this to be a debate racing thread. I love watching the Derby and the triple crown races and keep hope alive year after year that I too will get to see a Triple Crown winner.

That being said, I still like Dublin..... I liked General Quarters story last year too- the high school principal. Makes me think I could have one in the Derby someday.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
^i agree. no debate.
I knew the horse that won was gonna win i loved him and his statues was great.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No one else has a pick?? Bummer... I have two friends going and I am extremely jealous.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
^i agree. no debate.
I knew the horse that won was gonna win i loved him and his statues was great.
Statues??? Is this a horse racing thing? Could someone explain?

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Statues??? Is this a horse racing thing? Could someone explain?
Like what his odds are what they are like 40-1 or what ever :wink: If they have good statues I have good knowledge at knowing whos gonna win I just pick a random horse and it ends up winning lol.. its weird I won my grandma a lot of money

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Okay - I think you mean his "stats" - as in statistics? A statue is the large likeness of something carved out of rock or formed from metal -- I think that is where the confusion was coming in for everyone reading your post.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.